Help!! Sheet Cake For 100 And Smash Cake Pricing??

Business By Kimka44 Updated 4 Oct 2012 , 3:18pm by Kimka44

Kimka44 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimka44 Posted 1 Oct 2012 , 11:06pm
post #1 of 5

I was asked to do a sheet cake for 100 people half chocolate and half vanilla with butter cream frosting. Fairly simple car themes and a smash cake to match for a boys first birthday. How big should i make the smash cake? And im always uncomfortible giving prices for my cakes cause i never know what to charge. I have charges $1.50- $1.75 for cupcakes with some fondant decorations. As for cakes and especially sheet cakes i always feel so lost. Not to mention what do i charge for a smash cake?? ANY HELP WOULD BE GREAT!!!!!!!!!! icon_confused.gificon_confused.gif

4 replies
BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 1 Oct 2012 , 11:20pm
post #2 of 5

Smash cake is usually max 6" across and 3" high with the name on top and simple piped borders, a few cars on the side to match the sheet cake.

Sheet cake for 100 should cost at least as much as cupcakes for 100--depending on how big the servings are. Does that make sense? Then the smash cake should be about 6 cupcakes worth of food and work, right?

You are lucky they want a simple design, that will work out close to the cupcakes in terms of work.

For fancy designs, you need to figure out how much $$$ per hour you should receive for fancy decorations. You would then add that price to the price per serving of plain iced cake.

Here is the best way to verify your prices: pretend that you are the customer and call some local bakeries to get a price quote. Pretend that you don't know anything about cakes...make up a story about a party and ask for prices.

KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 2 Oct 2012 , 12:03am
post #3 of 5

Sooo many factors for different areas of the country but My full sheet feeds 100 for $350 and a smash cake is 4x2" for $10 with just borders and an inscription.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 2 Oct 2012 , 12:17am
post #4 of 5

Can't help you with this one, however, I can help with all of your future orders.

There is software specifically developed for custom cakes.
It is inexpensive and gets great reviews. Please read this article about cake pricing first, then read about the software.
http://www.cakeboss.com/PricingGuideline.aspx

http://www.cakeboss.com/Default.aspx

Kimka44 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kimka44 Posted 4 Oct 2012 , 3:18pm
post #5 of 5

Thank you for your help and replys!! You are all awesome !! I really apreciate the help!! icon_biggrin.gificon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%