What Will Hold Up?

Decorating By funtodecorate2 Updated 1 Oct 2012 , 3:25am by funtodecorate2

funtodecorate2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funtodecorate2 Posted 1 Oct 2012 , 1:12am
post #1 of 4

HI,
I am going to make 2 football helmet cakes. We have two teams and will use these for a fun family auction.
My problems is adding any team logos. Since the helmet is at a slight angle how would I do a logo?
The helmets will be done in buttercream. I don't think a frozen buttercream tranfer will work.
Will it ? If the cake is refrigerated up till 1 hr before the auction? I would be afraid of it sliding off
So then thinking of a royal icing transfer. ? Needs to conform to angle of helmet
I don't think I could cut and make anything out of fondant .I'm not that good.
Any ideas welcome.

Does royal icing break down on buttercream?
Thanks icon_smile.gif

3 replies
nikki4199 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nikki4199 Posted 1 Oct 2012 , 2:08am
post #2 of 4

Maybe edible transfer sheets!

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 1 Oct 2012 , 3:06am
post #3 of 4

Your buttercream transfer is going to be exactly as stable as your buttercream icing.

Why do you even think that the transfer would slide off, if you do a good job of pressing transfers onto the iced cakes? Does your icing ever fall off the sides of round cakes?

If the cake has been chilled overnight, it will NOT fall apart after 4 hours at indoor room temperature. You have surely noticed that it takes a while for a cake to warm up on the table indoors?

Anyway, people normally decorate helmets so that the logo appears in its correct position. These are very recognizable symbols and will look much better when you rotate the whole image.

funtodecorate2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
funtodecorate2 Posted 1 Oct 2012 , 3:25am
post #4 of 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakingIrene

Your buttercream transfer is going to be exactly as stable as your buttercream icing.

Why do you even think that the transfer would slide off, if you do a good job of pressing transfers onto the iced cakes? Does your icing ever fall off the sides of round cakes?

If the cake has been chilled overnight, it will NOT fall apart after 4 hours at indoor room temperature. You have surely noticed that it takes a while for a cake to warm up on the table indoors?

Anyway, people normally decorate helmets so that the logo appears in its correct position. These are very recognizable symbols and will look much better when you rotate the whole image.

What do you mean it will look much better when you rotate the whole image?

And I was concerned because of putting it into the freezer first and taking it out and applying it. I know it will soften up and was afraid of the weight of an image it will slide or colors bleed.

thanks , Wendy

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%