What Do You Ice Your Dummy Wedding Cake With....

Decorating By therese379 Updated 1 Oct 2012 , 9:49pm by Chellescakes

therese379 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
therese379 Posted 30 Sep 2012 , 8:43pm
post #1 of 8

I am making my first dummy wedding cake... Only the top real... Bride hates cake. What should I ice the 2 fake tiers in, icing or royal icing???? What do you suggest
Thanks Therese thumbs_up.gif

7 replies
CakesByBeth Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CakesByBeth Posted 30 Sep 2012 , 8:47pm
post #2 of 8

I would use buttercream.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 30 Sep 2012 , 8:54pm
post #3 of 8

I suggest using the same icing as the real tier, so they match.

therese379 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
therese379 Posted 30 Sep 2012 , 8:59pm
post #4 of 8

Thank you for the advice icon_biggrin.gif Therese

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 1 Oct 2012 , 4:00pm
post #5 of 8

Hmm. Now if it were some kind of store-window dummy cake, I'd frost the thing in Hydrocal (which any model train shop should be able to supply in small amounts, as it's a popular choice of structural plaster for scenery). That way, you'd have a permanent display.

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 1 Oct 2012 , 5:53pm
post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by hbquikcomjamesl

Hmm. Now if it were some kind of store-window dummy cake, I'd frost the thing in Hydrocal (which any model train shop should be able to supply in small amounts, as it's a popular choice of structural plaster for scenery). That way, you'd have a permanent display.

You know... artificial icing is available for this, as well as synthetic plaster at hardware stores.

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 1 Oct 2012 , 7:01pm
post #7 of 8

Hydrocal is a plaster (specifically, a high-density gypsum plaster). When building model railroad scenery, one layer of Hydrocal-soaked paper toweling sets up stronger than two layers of ordinary plaster-of-Paris-soaked paper toweling. Two layers of Hydrocal-soaked paper toweling sets up strong enough to walk on.

But I was being half-facetious (but only half; if you want a plaster display dummy that will last forever, Hydrocal would be your plaster).

Since we're getting increasingly irrelevant to the OP's question, I think I'm going to shut up now. Good-night, Gracie.

Chellescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chellescakes Posted 1 Oct 2012 , 9:49pm
post #8 of 8

I don't use anything special to ice a dummy , it is simply iced the same as the rest of the cake . So for me it is fondant. I charge 75% of the price I would for real cake .

I use a little piping jelly , to adhere the fondant to the dummy and just ice as I would the cake tiers.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%