Help, I Need A Cake In Lexington, Sc!

Lounge By lakegirlz Updated 5 Nov 2012 , 3:04am by Apti

lakegirlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lakegirlz Posted 30 Sep 2012 , 4:57pm
post #1 of 7

My daughter wants this cake (http://25.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_m2d3l4Tz7a1r03jcho1_500.jpg) with a solid pink bottom layer. I have gotten a few quotes and they range from $80-$120. My husband said "not gonna happen". Is this reasonable? I don't know anything about cake decorating but doesn't seem to be much to this (the bow does NOT have to be edible-it can be just ribbon).
Also, anyone in my area that can do this PLEASE let me know!!
Thanks

6 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 30 Sep 2012 , 6:40pm
post #2 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by lakegirlz

Is this reasonable?

I think it's more than reasonable. I don't know what customary prices are for your area, but most areas would charge a minimum of $3.00 per serving for buttercream only cakes... this is an 8" fondant cake which serves 24, and fondant cakes cost more in the $4-$7 per serving range, so $96 - $168 is an expected price to pay for most areas.

No, there isn't much to this cake -- you're right... just years of experience and know-how to produce it. If you're a crafty person, you could pull it off if you have enough time and patience to practice.

tiggy2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tiggy2 Posted 1 Oct 2012 , 1:39am
post #3 of 7
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWR41

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakegirlz

Is this reasonable?

I think it's more than reasonable. I don't know what customary prices are for your area, but most areas would charge a minimum of $3.00 per serving for buttercream only cakes... this is an 8" fondant cake which serves 24, and fondant cakes cost more in the $4-$7 per serving range, so $96 - $168 is an expected price to pay for most areas.

No, there isn't much to this cake -- you're right... just years of experience and know-how to produce it. If you're a crafty person, you could pull it off if you have enough time and patience to practice.

thumbs_up.gificon_wink.gif

JaeRodriguez Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaeRodriguez Posted 3 Nov 2012 , 12:35am
post #4 of 7

AI live in Lexington. That is pretty much the cheapest quote you're gonna get. If it's any less it will probably not be as nice/clean as the cake in the picture.

MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 3 Nov 2012 , 1:43pm
post #5 of 7

Hi lakegirlz, I'm just really curious - you joined CakeCentral for the sole purpose of finding a cheap cake? I agree with CWR41, you can probably do this yourself for just the price of ingredients. Motivation is another reason for joining our forum. Welcome! If you have any questions along the way, our members will help.

DeliciousDesserts Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeliciousDesserts Posted 3 Nov 2012 , 6:11pm
post #6 of 7

AI live in Charleston. I would have charged $85. Yes, you've been quoted what seems a reasonable price.

You can absolutely do this yourself! Tutorials: cutting & filling a cake. Covering a cake with fondant, marbling fondant, gumpaste bows.

Apti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Apti Posted 5 Nov 2012 , 3:04am
post #7 of 7

Many cake decorators began this hobby because they wished to make a loved one a "custom cake", and did not wish to pay custom prices. 

If you were to buy the ingredients/supplies for an 8" fondant covered cake:

Ready-To-Use White Rolled Fondant 24 oz. Pkg.,$8

http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=3E30CF4A-475A-BAC0-5F79E9BD5798B946&fid=D754B442-1E0B-C910-EA00BE2BFDBB9964

Grey, Green, Black Gel Food colors:  $2.29 each

http://www.wilton.com/store/site/product.cfm?id=3E30B2D9-475A-BAC0-5D5C3DB846DFD354&killnav=1

Pretty, pre-covered 10" cake drum:  About $2-$6

Cake Mix, eggs, etc.:  About $3

8"x2" round Wilton pan:  $9

Filling:  $?  (You have to know what will work that is not slippery or what will "go bad" without refrigeration.  You will have to know how to fill without getting a "bulge" where the filling can squish out, etc.)

Buttercream:  $?  You can use store-bought frosting as a filling and as a coat under the fondant, but it will be the dickens to work with and many of us don't recommend working with store-bought icing.

You must also learn how to roll and apply the fondant.  How to apply buttercream beneath the fondant.  How to marble the fondant colors. 

The bow does not have to be edible.  You can put on a ribbon bow. 

You will need to watch youtube videos for 15 to 30 minutes for the instructions.

You need to learn how to end up with a LEVEL cake layer that is 2" high. 

It will take you the time to go to the craft store and grocery store to purchase the items (30 minutes to 1+ hour).

It will take you time to bake and let the cake cool:  1 hour to bake (including prep), and 2 hours to cool

It will take you about 30 minutes to color, knead, and marble the fondant.

It will take you from 1 to 5 tries to get the fondant rolled out and applied correctly if it is your first time.

Most non-bakers have zero idea what it takes to make a custom cake.  TV makes it look super-easy, but they are not realistic shows--they are entertainment shows.  I agree with the other comments, that if you wish, you CAN make this cake yourself.  (Be careful, though, that's how most of us got hooked!)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%