Ideas For My Weird Geeky Project?

Decorating By shadowdream Updated 30 Sep 2012 , 2:12am by shadowdream

shadowdream Posted 29 Sep 2012 , 11:32pm
post #1 of 5

Hello all!

Newbie to the forums, LOVE all the info.

I make all sorts of weird, geeky stuff. For my friend's birthday a year or two ago, I made him a beholder cake (excuse the poor shot and the messy plate. They were eager to eat it, so no time to clean it all up all pretty. And the rough frosting texture is intentional. They're ugly buggers).

This year, I've decided to make another iconic D&D monster, and make him a gelatinous cube. For those who are not nerdy D&D players like me, it is just what it sounds like, a big cube of jello.

Now, my idea is to make a cube shaped, key lime flavored cake, with a cream cheese frosting. On top of that, I would like to put a good thick layer of green gel, in which I will stick a bunch of random things that it is digesting. It won't be perfect, obviously, as you can't make transparent cake! But it should be fun and get the point across.

Now my question is how to best get this to work. I've found a couple promising decorating gel recipes online, but would it be possible to make them thick enough that they wouldn't just run down the sides if I tried to put on a thick layer, AND still make them add something to the cake flavor-wise? I have some margarita flavored jello I considered trying to play with one way or another, and the decorating gel recipe that uses lemon juice could probably be made with lime for this.

Any thoughts or suggestions?

Thanks! icon_smile.gif

4 replies
BakingIrene Posted 29 Sep 2012 , 11:45pm
post #2 of 5

Make sure you have a HIGH space in the fridge for this contraption. It will take some time to build.

You do NOT want to do decorating gel, but rather the standard moulded gelatin dessert thing. You can build a good 3" high layer this way.

Make your cake, ice it and chill fully. Make a collar of folded heavy aluminum foil all the way around, higher than you want the gelatin to sit. Spray the foil with nonstick coating before you stick it to the cake. This is now your jello mould.

Make a gelatin dessert mixture with 1/3 extra gelatin (that is, 4 measuring teaspoons per 2 cups liquid) and let it get cold enough to be syrupy but not set. Think of this as a free-standing gelatin mold according to many Jello recipes online...all kinds of crazy ideas here

Put a layer of gelatin down onto the cake and put it back into the fridge to set fully. Then add your thingies in layers with more gelatin, chilling each layer to set before adding more.

To get the foil off, wrap with a cloth dipped into very hot water, and use a thin knife to ease the edges. The foil should peel off OK, but you can spread the last of the gelatin with an icing spatula to fill in any holes.

And for goodness sake do NOT let this sit out on a summer day...

shadowdream Posted 30 Sep 2012 , 12:36am
post #3 of 5

Thanks so much! icon_smile.gif

I was actually pondering something like that after I posted. I was thinking of building a cardboard mold and covering it in foil that I sprayed down with nonstick spray and doing just that. Or doing mini ones and suspending a cupcake in them.

Glad to see that idea is less crazy than I thought! icon_biggrin.gif

I'll have to do a small mock up or two over the weekend. This is for next weekend.

BakingIrene Posted 30 Sep 2012 , 12:44am
post #4 of 5

I like the idea of cubes with cupcakes suspended inside. You can use the cube-shaped (more or less) plastic food containers, and unmold them onto a large cake board...a parade...with birthday candles alongside...

They could be alcoholic if you like--Midori gives you a really nice green. You can even make the gelatin streaky with multiple colours of just-soft-enough stuff added at the same time.

Let me warn you to measure the gelatin in the Knox packets because they have run short for me. I now buy gelatin in bulk for such fun.

Here for your further entertainment
and there are three links of great value in the article

And thanks for posting. I'm sitting in the office waiting for a chemical synthesis to finish re-running. Baking cakes was a LOT easier...

shadowdream Posted 30 Sep 2012 , 2:12am
post #5 of 5

I was thinking of taking one and putting a candle in the cupcake before suspending it. Let the candle stick out most of the way.

Two years from now we're going to do a rather large alcoholic version, no cake. I should have mentioned that said friend is our friend's nephew, who is turning 19. No jello shots for him yet!

I'm thinking a smallish cake, enough for the four of us with some left over, and a half dozen cupcakes or so. Just because I'm now in love with the cupcake idea.

Thanks for the link! Neat stuff. Now I'm going from link to link to link with ideas for other things. I know what I'm doing for the rest of tonight. *chuckles*

And yeah, I bet it was!

Quote by @%username% on %date%