20Kg Bulk White Pudding Cake Mix

Baking By JPepper Updated 29 Sep 2012 , 4:21pm by JPepper

JPepper Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JPepper Posted 29 Sep 2012 , 5:33am
post #1 of 6

Hi there icon_smile.gif

I've been doing A LOT of cake making lately! I typically start with a boxed mix and then modify using some of the recipes I have found on this site. The last time I was at my local wholesale store (Wholesale Club which is a sister company to Superstore and Bulk Barn) I saw a 20kg bag of white pudding cake mix (also available in chocolate). I am thinking buying the bulk bag might put my costs down a little. I read the directions on the bag and only saw ingredients to add plus directions for making the entire bag. I am wondering a couple of things:

1) Has anyone ever used a product like this? I am confused at the 'pudding' part...I usually use DH or BC boxed cake mixes and their packaging doesnt say anything about pudding.
2) Does anyone know what the ratios would be to make a much smaller batch? For example, how much cake mix, how many eggs, oil, water etc?

Thanks so much in advance icon_smile.gif

Jennifer

5 replies
doramoreno62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doramoreno62 Posted 29 Sep 2012 , 8:16am
post #2 of 6

The pudding is in it to make a denser, richer, moister cake.
As far as amounts to add, I would halve the ingredients if I was making half the bag or quarter them if I was making 1/4 th of the bag.
Although I'm not sure if that would affect the final turn out. Maybe try calling the manufacturer?

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 29 Sep 2012 , 2:25pm
post #3 of 6

Go to BulkBarn.ca and search by item. There are instructions for use as well as nutritional info and ingredients list.

Here's what came up for "deluxe" white mix:

http://www.bulkbarn.ca/en-ca/products.html?product=534&search=pudding+cake+mix

The dry pudding is processed starch and sugar (no milk). The starch helps to hold moisture in the baked cake. It also helps to make it more tender.

JPepper Posted 29 Sep 2012 , 3:31pm
post #4 of 6

Thank you for your replies! Baking Irene, I dont actually have a Bulk Barn in my area...we have Wholesale Club which is owned by Loblaws who also owns Bulk Barn...I hope that makes sense..lol! Anyway, while it would make sense that Bulk Barn and Wholesale club carry similar products, in this instance they dont. The cake mix that Wholesale club makes is called "White Pudding Cake Mix". I think I'll just call the store and see what kind of information I can get from them, although I'm not feeling hopeful that they will be able to help me...lol! I might have to just wing it...maybe I'll just try to follow the instructions on the Bulk Barn site and see how it turns out icon_smile.gif

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 29 Sep 2012 , 3:39pm
post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by JPepper

Thank you for your replies! Baking Irene, I dont actually have a Bulk Barn in my area...we have Wholesale Club which is owned by Loblaws who also owns Bulk Barn...I hope that makes sense..lol

It's only the label that is different. In the Loblaws stores it's called "Presidents Choice" and in the other Weston chain stores, it's called something else. But I read labels with my chemist brain and I can see that they are all the same stuff inside.

So BulkBarn.ca has all the info online and you can download it. The info will be the same for what acts like the same stuff at the other Weston chains.

JPepper Posted 29 Sep 2012 , 4:21pm
post #6 of 6

Thank you Baking Irene for your reply and the very valuable information you provided icon_smile.gif I will follow the directions on the Bulk Barn site icon_smile.gif

Thanks again icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%