Can't Take No For An Answer.

Business By cakesbycathy Updated 3 Oct 2012 , 9:44pm by FullHouse

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 29 Sep 2012 , 1:43am
post #1 of 18

Some people amaze me...
My son is having brain surgery on Nov 14th. I posted a note on both my website and FB page stating I was unable to take orders from Nov 10th-25th.
Woman calls me about a 3 tier cake she wants for her daughter's birthday party. The date she needs it? Nov 17th.

Me: I'm sorry but I am unable to take any orders for that date.
Her: Are you sure?
Me: Yes, I'm sure.
Her: Really? You can't fit it in your schedule?
Me: No, I really can't. My son is having brain surgery on the 14th. I will be at the hospital with him.
Her: Well could your husband or somebody stay with him and then you could make the cake?
Me: Ummm...no.
Her: Well won't he be sleeping most of the time anyway? He won't even know if you are there or not.
Me: I'm sorry I can't help you.

And then I hung up the phone before she could say something else. She proceeded to call and email me 3 more times after that.
What I really wanted to say was "if it was YOUR kid would YOU leave the hospital, you crazy woman???" icon_rolleyes.gif

17 replies
LNW Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
LNW Posted 29 Sep 2012 , 2:13am
post #2 of 18

Wow. What a callous, unsympathetic poot. I mean on one hand, your cakes must really be amazing for her to keep after you about it even after you hung up on her. On the other hand, wow. People are so selfish and uncaring sometimes. I hope she leaves you alone!

Sorry to hear about your son btw. I wouldnt leave his side for all the money in the world if it were my own son.

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 29 Sep 2012 , 2:19am
post #3 of 18

UN-BE-FFFFFn-lievable.

Sure hope your kid does OK with the surgery.

But you know, sometimes the hospital acts just like this customer...I remember going around in circles with staff when none of them wanted to let me use a taxi to go to the other site to get a leg cast re-fitted. They said I had to go in an ambulance...but they were going to discharge me 2 days later. I told them that I needed the practise in travelling in a taxi, I told them about the special entrance that had been built, and the MD finally said "OK". I went and came without any slips.

And that reminds me that the MOST important piece of equipment that you can bring along as a good set of earplugs.

lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 29 Sep 2012 , 2:22am
post #4 of 18

WOW... that is disgusting to me. What a heartless beyotch! I mean seriously... if someone said I'm sorry but I cannot take orders for that date I would say thank you for your time and be on my way... to keep asking is just rude. Now if someone said I'm sorry but my child is having brain surgery and I cannot make your cake I would tell them how sorry I was, that I hoped that he had an uneventful surgery, and send my hopes for a speedy recovery... not say he'll be sleeping anyway so make my cake.

I cannot fathom the gall...

I feel the need to apologize on behalf of the human race for her heinous behavior. I hope your son's surgery goes well and that he heals quickly. I cannot imagine how worried you must be. (((hugs)))

Godot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Godot Posted 29 Sep 2012 , 4:51am
post #5 of 18

Where do all these 'entitled' a-holes come from, anyway?

I would have been way less than nice.

cookiemonster025 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cookiemonster025 Posted 29 Sep 2012 , 6:39am
post #6 of 18

Wow. Just, wow.

Good for you though, for remaining polite. I think I would have hung up on her the second she suggested your husband stay with your son while you make the cake. The nerve!

Hope all goes well with your son's surgery. Please take care of yourself as well!

mommachris Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mommachris Posted 29 Sep 2012 , 3:14pm
post #7 of 18

She must love your cakes.
Too bad really because she just earned the first place on your "no cake for you" list.
As someone that spent almost three months ( including six weeks on the bone marrow unit in another town) I understand your position.
Poor thing is clueless. I'm sorry for her.
Sending prayers your way for both you and your son.

christyann

cakecraving Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecraving Posted 29 Sep 2012 , 3:23pm
post #8 of 18

I'm so sorry this lady contacted you. My prayers go out to you and your family. To hear this absolutely blows me away. Wow the nerve of some people.

newnancy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
newnancy Posted 29 Sep 2012 , 3:39pm
post #9 of 18

I pray your son does well & sorry you had to deal with such a selfish person.

Missy227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Missy227 Posted 29 Sep 2012 , 4:21pm
post #10 of 18

Scary to think of what kind of role model that self-absorbed ignorant woman is for her daughter.

I would like to extend my heartfelt wishes to you for your son. I hope all goes well with your sons surgery and he has a speedy recovery. My prayers will be with you both on November 14.

csue Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
csue Posted 29 Sep 2012 , 4:52pm
post #11 of 18

My thoughts and prayers go out to you and your son. I wish him The Best!!!

ChristineCMC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChristineCMC Posted 29 Sep 2012 , 5:31pm
post #12 of 18

I can't even imagine how stupid this woman is and heartless too.

Hope all goes well with your son.

heynannie Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heynannie Posted 29 Sep 2012 , 6:47pm
post #13 of 18

Prayers for your son and family as the proceedure date approaches,and for you as you had every right to "CUSS THAT LADY RAGGEDY" but didn't....greater things are yet to come ...<333><

cakesbycathy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakesbycathy Posted 30 Sep 2012 , 10:52pm
post #14 of 18

Thanks everyone. While my cake is pretty yummy, lol, I suspect this is someone who is used to people doing whatever she wants. I have a feeling she doesn't hear the work "no' very often. icon_rolleyes.gif

ChristineCMC Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
ChristineCMC Posted 30 Sep 2012 , 11:31pm
post #15 of 18

Cathy - I just saw your tag line and I think it's fantastic. You must have a lot of it because I know I would have told this fool no a lot more harshly than you did.

Goreti Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Goreti Posted 30 Sep 2012 , 11:58pm
post #16 of 18

I don't have anything to say about the "little darling" that has already been said. I just wanted to let you know that I hope everything goes ok with your son's surgery and wish him a speedy recovery.

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 1 Oct 2012 , 4:49am
post #17 of 18

I'm really hoping this "lady" thought you were simply making up an excuse so as not to have to do her cake. To think that she believed you and still continued to act this way . . . well, it's just very sad.

My prayers go out for your son, and you and the rest of your family as well. Take care of yourself and have faith that all will work out well. thumbs_up.gif

FullHouse Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
FullHouse Posted 3 Oct 2012 , 9:44pm
post #18 of 18

I am amazed that a person like this even exists. I will be keeping your son in my prayers.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%