How Much Would You Charge For This Cake?

Business By cwelling Updated 29 Sep 2012 , 2:39am by lilmissbakesalot

cwelling Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cwelling Posted 28 Sep 2012 , 4:59pm
post #1 of 8

I know price varies due to many factors, but how much would you all charge for this design as a 3 tier cake without the flower?
LL

7 replies
BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 28 Sep 2012 , 5:17pm
post #2 of 8

The price has to depend on how big the cakes are.

Really: if I'm going to charge somebody $300 for a 6-8-10 then I'm going to charge close to $1000 for a 16-12-8, right?

cwelling Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cwelling Posted 28 Sep 2012 , 5:20pm
post #3 of 8

Sorry I forgot to list sizes...

probably an 8,6,4...but I think a 10,8, 6 would look better

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 28 Sep 2012 , 5:23pm
post #4 of 8

Sometime the odd sized pans look better when you are chopping off one tier. I think this original is 4-6-8-10 based on each tier height being 4"

So for three tiers, a 5-7-9 would look more like the top of the original than 6-8-10. Of course it will serve fewer people...

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 28 Sep 2012 , 5:31pm
post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by cwelling

Sorry I forgot to list sizes...

probably an 8,6,4...but I think a 10,8, 6 would look better

Well maybe, but that's twice as many servings. So does your client need approx 30 or 60 servings? BIG difference. Nevermind what you think looks better....

eperales0411 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
eperales0411 Posted 28 Sep 2012 , 5:39pm
post #6 of 8

Prices vary from state to state, or city to city, what I did before to get an idea as to how much to charge for my cakes was getting quotes/pricing from some of the top and not so top bakeries in town. This will give you an idea, you also have to keep in mind the time and materials you use to make and decorate your cakes, don't short change yourself!! Happy Baking!! icon_biggrin.gif

jason_kraft Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jason_kraft Posted 28 Sep 2012 , 5:44pm
post #7 of 8

How much do you estimate the ingredients will cost for the cake? About how many hours would it take to complete the order? How much overhead do you have (insurance, license fees, etc.)?

lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 29 Sep 2012 , 2:39am
post #8 of 8

If I had to guess, that cake looks like a 5-7-9-11.

There's not a whole lot going on with the cake that would warrant a huge upcharge other than the flower. The fondant is embossed with a lacy flower pattern, but that's it.

What is your base price for cakes? If it were me it would be $6/serving, but I know that not everyone charges that much. You have to think about your skill level and ability to pull it off (the cakes you have posted here are nicely done and I think this is something you could do easily). The edges are nice and sharp, so that would be important. If you don't have a base price for cakes figured out then that is where I'd start. Find out what it costs you per serving to make a cake. Include everything from ingredients to electricity to gas to pick up the ingredients... internal supports and fondant and everything. Once you figure that out, pricing cakes is a snap.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%