Airbrushing While Pregnant

Decorating By snazzycakes1 Updated 13 Oct 2012 , 12:34am by snazzycakes1

snazzycakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snazzycakes1 Posted 28 Sep 2012 , 1:54am
post #1 of 7

i use an airbrush on a pretty regular basis. i just found out i am pregnant, and worry about if it effects the baby. i was curious since its edible? is it bad? i have ventilation but not tons, as i probably do 3-5 cakes a week with airbrushing. tia

6 replies
Sugarsweetcafe Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sugarsweetcafe Posted 28 Sep 2012 , 3:31am
post #2 of 7

congratulations on the baby icon_smile.gif To be honest this is something you really need to ask the doctor. Consult your doctor about this.

doramoreno62 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doramoreno62 Posted 28 Sep 2012 , 5:29am
post #3 of 7

Yes I agree, consult your doctor. Everytime I airbrush I breath in the paint and who knows if it is bad for you. I know this because once I airbrushed a cake with blue, then in the afternoon I went to get an upper lip wax. While I was being waxed, the waxer kept looking up my nose until she finally asked me why in the world would I dye my nose hairs blue!!! I almost fell off the table, laughing!!! Truly an OMG moment! Now I wear a filter mask when I airbrush.

jgifford Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jgifford Posted 28 Sep 2012 , 7:27pm
post #4 of 7

Congratulations! So happy for you. You're probably not in any danger since the coloring is edible/food safe/whatever - - but as said before, check with your doctor. This stuff is going in your lungs (and nose icon_lol.gif ) but probably much less to be concerned about than the fumes you get from furniture polish, floor/toilet cleaner, etc.

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 28 Sep 2012 , 8:16pm
post #5 of 7

The liquid colours should be OK in the amount you use. The metallic and pearl colours might need better ventilation. Your normal over-the-oven fan if vented to the outside is good enough.

Wearing a mask is a good idea anyway, the cheap ones from the local hardware are good enough to keep the food colour out of your lungs.

I tried to find the list of ingredients...no go. You should ermail your manufacturer of your usual brand to find out.

SkisandBakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SkisandBakes Posted 28 Sep 2012 , 8:55pm
post #6 of 7

In my previous life - before kids - I practiced Occupational Health and Safety. I agree that you should wear some form of safety protection while spraying with an airbrush. An N95 dust mist mask should probably do the trick but I would recommend that you contact the manufacturer of the specific product you use for a recommendation. Talking to your doctor is also a really good idea.

snazzycakes1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
snazzycakes1 Posted 13 Oct 2012 , 12:34am
post #7 of 7

thank you all so very much for the congrats and advice!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%