Vanilla Cakes And Cupcakes???

Baking By naiyyar Updated 14 Jan 2013 , 4:16am by Gerle

naiyyar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
naiyyar Posted 26 Sep 2012 , 12:14pm
post #1 of 14

Hello CC

I made Wilton's Basic Yellow Cake Recipe: http://www.wilton.com/recipe/Basic-Yellow-Cake

I separated it into six bowls and mixed wilton gel colors in each to make a 6 " rainbow cake and eight cupcakes with the remaining batter.

BUT it came out tough, not soft. The center was soft tough.

Could you please share with me the PERFECT vanilla cake and cupcake recipe. There are loads on the net and its so confusing. Il really be grateful.

Iv used this recipe earlier: http://www.glorioustreats.com/2012/02/pretty-spring-cake-vanilla-cake-with-lemon-filling.html

and the cake and cupcake did come out well but im not sure how the buttermilk in it will react with the colors.

As always, will be really grateful.

13 replies
pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 26 Sep 2012 , 9:31pm
post #2 of 14

Are you looking for a scratch vanilla recipe? It's always been the hardest to perfect. But try FromScratchSF's recipe. It is now my go to recipe for a scratch vanilla cake. Otherwise, I just use Kakeladi's Original WASC recipe that is here on CC.

http://fromscratchsf.wordpress.com/2011/07/26/white-cake-part-3-with-recipe/

naiyyar Posted 27 Sep 2012 , 2:23pm
post #3 of 14

Thank you for the reply. Yes I am looking for a scratch one. Infact I am satisfied with with Glorious treats recipe but im not sure if there will be any color reaction with the buttermil in the recipe as i want to use wilton color gel to make rainbow cake.

Thanx

naiyyar Posted 10 Oct 2012 , 2:40pm
post #4 of 14

Tried the rainbow cake with butermilk recipe and it came out perfect without any problem.

Would love to know and try what is the go-to recipe you use for Vanilla cake and cupcake.

Thanx a ton

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 10 Oct 2012 , 4:45pm
post #5 of 14

Want a perfect cake? Better develop some perfect technique.

Like weighing your flour.
Like creaming ingredients that are at the right temperature for the right length of time.
Like perfectly folding in your dry ingredients.
Like baking with an oven at the right temperature for the right length of time.

There is NO such thing as a "perfect" recipe only perfect technique.

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 10 Oct 2012 , 5:10pm
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by pmarks0

Are you looking for a scratch vanilla recipe? It's always been the hardest to perfect. But try FromScratchSF's recipe. It is now my go to recipe for a scratch vanilla cake. Otherwise, I just use Kakeladi's Original WASC recipe that is here on CC.

http://fromscratchsf.wordpress.com/2011/07/26/white-cake-part-3-with-recipe/

How do cupcakes bake up? Also, I think I read on that article/tutorial that its best to bake smaller tiers (9 inches or less)...have you tried baking big tiers?

pmarks0 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
pmarks0 Posted 11 Oct 2012 , 4:22am
post #7 of 14

I've made cupcakes from the recipe and the rose nicely. (I had to check the link's comments to find mine. icon_biggrin.gif) Jen does say in the recipe how many it makes, andin the comments other people have mentioned making cupcakes. I looked through the comments and found one of mine where I raved about the recipe and the cupcakes. I am not a big vanilla person, but this recipe really has an awesome flavour.

I asked Jen if the recipe multiplied easily and she said it did, just fine, so I have doubled and tripled without issue.

Read through the comments if you haven't already because there is a lot of good info there.

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 11 Oct 2012 , 4:24am
post #8 of 14

Be careful when adding the color. At this point, you may overmix to get the color consistent, making it tougher.

I agree about the method. It changes everything.

I recently tried fromscratch's for Tiramisu and Bailey's cupcakes because my cake recipes were not suited for cupcakes. It worked fine. But I do things to all of my plain vanilla cakes that make them different. I did them to hers too. My big one is to use 2 tbsp of Hennessy Cognac to the batter. I also use tons of vanilla bean paste and 1/4 tsp of ground ginger.

Normita Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Normita Posted 13 Oct 2012 , 5:05pm
post #9 of 14

What kind of flavor does the Hennessy bring out?

KirasCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KirasCakery Posted 13 Jan 2013 , 5:54am
post #10 of 14

A rainbow cake is on my to-do list as well... I never even thought about the over mixing while coloring the batter... Do you think you could add coloring after creaming, like when you add your extracts?

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 13 Jan 2013 , 8:08pm
post #11 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirasCakery 

A rainbow cake is on my to-do list as well... I never even thought about the over mixing while coloring the batter... Do you think you could add coloring after creaming, like when you add your extracts?

It seems that reverse creamed cakes which blend the flour with the fats and liquids, then end with adding the eggs are more forgiving of over mixing.  For my rainbow cake, I used a reverse creaming method white white cake (shortening, egg whites only, almond extract) and grocery store food colors.  My reasoning in using the grocery store colors is that they are liquids and would require less mixing to fully incorporate with more of a gentle folding technique than a gel which would require a more vigourous mixing. It worked extremely well and my only problem was figuring out how much batter to use for each color since I was using graduated layers in order to do a carved princess cake.  This is the cake I used it for:

While the layers didn't even come close to being all the same height (and no-one seemed to care, lol), they were all perfectly level (no does), the cake texture was excellent, and the colors were bright.  You could try From Scratch's all egg white recipe; I'm sure it would yield a perfect rainbow.

KirasCakery Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KirasCakery Posted 14 Jan 2013 , 12:41am
post #12 of 14

I was just looking at the FromScratch white cake recipe today... Lol That one will be in my kitchen tomorrow! Will the reverse creaming method work well for that recipe? (Nice princess cake btw)

cakeyouverymuch Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakeyouverymuch Posted 14 Jan 2013 , 1:00am
post #13 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by KirasCakery 

I was just looking at the FromScratch white cake recipe today... Lol That one will be in my kitchen tomorrow! Will the reverse creaming method work well for that recipe? (Nice princess cake btw)

As written, that recipe is a perfect example of the reverse creaming method.  I haven't tried it yet.  Had planned to last week, but health issues intervened.  Maybe this week during the bread marathon that I have planned for Wednesday/Thursday.  Thank you for your kind words about 'princess blue'.

Gerle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gerle Posted 14 Jan 2013 , 4:16am
post #14 of 14

SCP1127, do you sub some of the other liquids for the Hennessy's?  And what does the ginger do to the taste?  I've always made the recipe as is and love it, but am always looking for subtle little changes once in awhile.  As to the vanilla bean paste, I always add the same amount of paste as extract.  LOVE, the flavor it gives the cake!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%