How To Keep Bags Closed

Decorating By JLG Updated 25 Sep 2012 , 1:44am by letsgetcaking

JLG Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JLG Posted 24 Sep 2012 , 9:54pm
post #1 of 7

I'm doing a decorating class for a birthday party with some young girls and I'm looking for a way to keep the bags closed for them so they don't have to keep twisting them closed.

Does anyone have any tips on how to keep the bags closed?

Thanks
Jan

6 replies
rozebudscakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
rozebudscakes Posted 24 Sep 2012 , 10:13pm
post #2 of 7

Put twist ties at the end of the bags. you want to leave about an inch of space between the opening of the bag and where you place the twist tie. BUT you also want to have some space between the icing and the twist tie, that way when they grab the bag to pipe, the icing has somewhere to go when they squeeze (and it wont come out of the top). I hope that made sense! And I hope thats the answer you were looking for! icon_smile.gif

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 24 Sep 2012 , 10:18pm
post #3 of 7

Personally, I pipe with an ordinary zip-top bag, with a corner cut out to accommodate the fitting and tip.

Note that I mean at least storage weight, and preferably freezer weight: if you use sandwich weight, you're just asking for a blowout.

MsGF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Missy227 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Missy227 Posted 25 Sep 2012 , 12:49am
post #5 of 7

Icing/Frosting Plugs might work well for you.

Heres a link to a good forum post showing Frosting Plugs:

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 25 Sep 2012 , 1:32am
post #6 of 7

I give gingerbread house decorating lessons and use rubber bands to secure the ends.

letsgetcaking Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
letsgetcaking Posted 25 Sep 2012 , 1:44am
post #7 of 7

Those are all great ideas. I just want to second the frosting plugs. They definitely cut down on the mess.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%