Question On Candy Barrel Cake

Decorating By rjcakes Updated 24 Sep 2012 , 11:23pm by fcakes

rjcakes Posted 24 Sep 2012 , 4:10pm
post #1 of 3

Hello - I'm planning on making my niece a candy barrel cake for her 15th birthday because she LOVES candy and chocolate (the edge will be covered in Kitkat bars and the top filled in with M&Ms)! I bought a few of the large size KitKat bars but they don't look long enough to cover a 2 layer frosted cake. Does anyone know if there are longer ones or if the cakes made with the KitKats around the edge are just made a little shorter?
Thanks for your help!
RJ

2 replies
debidehm Posted 24 Sep 2012 , 5:26pm
post #2 of 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by rjcakes

Hello - I'm planning on making my niece a candy barrel cake for her 15th birthday because she LOVES candy and chocolate (the edge will be covered in Kitkat bars and the top filled in with M&Ms)! I bought a few of the large size KitKat bars but they don't look long enough to cover a 2 layer frosted cake. Does anyone know if there are longer ones or if the cakes made with the KitKats around the edge are just made a little shorter?
Thanks for your help!
RJ

I don't think they have "longer" Kitkats (at least not around here)...I think they come pretty standard in size (maybe with the exception of the funsized bars???) If the Kitkat's are too short to cover your 2 layers, why not use 2 rows of them, and cover the area where they meet with a ribbon and bow? If 2 layers of the candy bars will be too high, I would cut them down to the size you need them, meet them cut side to cut side (in the middle of the cake), then add the ribbon to cover the cut. I've never done one of these cakes, but this is how I would do it.

fcakes Posted 24 Sep 2012 , 11:23pm
post #3 of 3

http://www.mommytopics.com/food/mms-barrell-cake - this link has great pics and helpful instructions icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%