Jam Filling For Italian Butter Cookies

Baking By Sugarsweetcafe Updated 5 Dec 2014 , 3:10am by Diiamante

Sugarsweetcafe Posted 24 Sep 2012 , 3:51pm
post #1 of 9

I hope someone can help me out, I cant find too much information over the internet. I am looking for a brand (or recipe) for the jelly filling that are found in the Italian butter cookies that are sold in bakeries. Anyone have some info on what is used or what you use in the bakeries? Thanks! icon_smile.gif

8 replies
BakingIrene Posted 25 Sep 2012 , 4:40pm
post #2 of 9

It's raspberry jam, strained to get rid of the seeds, and then cooked until it boils.

That's all.

Sugarsweetcafe Posted 25 Sep 2012 , 6:55pm
post #3 of 9

Thanks for your response BakingIrene, I appreciate it. What is the purpose of cooking the jam till it boils?

BakingIrene Posted 25 Sep 2012 , 7:31pm
post #4 of 9

Jam is normally cooked to a specific sugar level for spreading onto bread etc.

Boiling the jam makes it set a little harder which is useful for filling cookies and coating fruitcakes.

Sugarsweetcafe Posted 25 Sep 2012 , 9:08pm
post #5 of 9

great I will try that, thanks alot icon_smile.gif

MisterCakePro Posted 26 Sep 2012 , 2:09am
post #6 of 9

Or just use a store bought jam (raspberry and apricot are traditional) straight from the jar. Just a little smeared on one cookie and sandwich them together.

BakingIrene Posted 26 Sep 2012 , 2:37am
post #7 of 9

I was referring to store bought jam. It seems to have more "glop" than homemade jam, and it sure gets a lot better after it's been boiled for a minute.

Kathy107 Posted 1 Oct 2012 , 5:00pm
post #8 of 9

Does anyone have a really good recipe for these Italian Butter Cookies? Thanks.

Diiamante Posted 5 Dec 2014 , 3:10am
post #9 of 9

ADoes anyone have a recipe for these cookie? I would love to make some for my Christmas party

Quote by @%username% on %date%