Rolling Out Mmf???

Baking By Jody130 Updated 24 Sep 2012 , 11:41pm by SaltCakeCity

Jody130 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jody130 Posted 24 Sep 2012 , 2:57pm
post #1 of 8

Ive tried several MMF fondant recipes off CC, my question is what is the best roll out method? Ive purchase THE MAT, to use, but it seems to stick to it and have bubbles, tried the PS and Cornstarch on counter but it tends to be dry, and rips when I try to pick up and move anyone have any suggestions for rolling out or possibly a better recipe that works. My recipe is 16 oz marshmallows, 2 pd powdered sugar, 1/2 tsp salt, 2 tbsp gylcerin (or corn syrup) , 3 tbsp water. mix and let rest.

7 replies
Claire138 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Claire138 Posted 24 Sep 2012 , 3:22pm
post #2 of 8

Try rolling it out on a small amount of crisco spread over your work surface (I've had no luck with the mat either and PS seems to work but makes it stiffer).

debidehm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debidehm Posted 24 Sep 2012 , 5:43pm
post #3 of 8

I only use MMF myself, and my recipe is pretty close to yours, minus a couple of ingredients, and I haven't had any problems rolling it out (I either roll out on a lightly greased counter top, or sprinkled with powdered sugar). If it's getting too dry, it might be because you've added too much powdered sugar when making it. When I make it, I go by the feel of it. When I mix as much as I can in the bowl, I turn it over on the counter top. Since not all of the powdered sugar has been mixed in all the way and falls to the side, I start kneading the fondant, and as I need it, I add more of the powdered sugar. When it gets to the consistency I want, I stop adding in the powdered sugar...regardless if I've used all the powered sugar the recipe has called for or not. I would rather add not enough and have it still be a bit tacky than to add too much and have it too dry. Having it be a little tacky (then I add a very little amount of Crisco to the ball before I wrap it), I then will dust my counter top with powdered sugar when ready to use.

My recipe is rather simple, and is all I've ever used.

16 oz. mini marshmallows...add 4 tbls water, microwave 2 minutes or until marshmallows are melted.

Once melted, add to 2 lbs. powdered sugar. Mix as much as you can, then turn over and start kneading the fondant with lightly greased hands.

That's it! Nothing more added to it!

Jody130 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jody130 Posted 24 Sep 2012 , 6:18pm
post #4 of 8

Thank you both for all the help, I will try that and see how it works.

grandmomof1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
grandmomof1 Posted 24 Sep 2012 , 6:22pm
post #5 of 8

Do you allow it to rest overnight before using it?

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 24 Sep 2012 , 6:46pm
post #6 of 8

I agree with debidehm. I only use all the PS called for in a fondant recipe, whether its MMF or any other one, if I'm in a high-humidity area (like where I live). If I'm anywhere else, I always have a cup or two of sugar left over.

CottageGirlSkills Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CottageGirlSkills Posted 24 Sep 2012 , 6:47pm
post #7 of 8

I agree with debidehm. I use the same recipe (minus two tbl water) and I love the recipe; however, I do have issues with the fondant sticking to my countertop. I rolled it fresh (still slightly warm) onto a 'crisco' covered surface with powdered sugar thrown on the fondant ANYtime it was sticky and each time i rolled it. I found that flipping the fondant over frequently also helped! But definitely use debidehm or my recipe as it is easy to make, work with, and eat icon_biggrin.gif
Best of Luck!
bb

And thanks Jody130, I was thinking about investing in the MAT...but I won't now! thumbs_up.gif

SaltCakeCity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SaltCakeCity Posted 24 Sep 2012 , 11:41pm
post #8 of 8

I only use MMF. I use 1 tbsp water to a small bag of mini marshmallows and microwave for around 45 seconds. Stir in PS until it's not sticky in the bowl, then flip it onto the counter covered in PS. I don't let it set over night and it works fine but when it sticks to the counter, cornstarch can really help. Sprinkle that on the counter instead of PS and it should stick. I hope that helps!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%