How Do I Handle An 18" Round Cake Tier?

Decorating By tullicious Updated 23 Sep 2012 , 7:24pm by Tyler4250

tullicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tullicious Posted 23 Sep 2012 , 12:49am
post #1 of 5

I have a three tier wedding cake coming up. Very simple design, three tiers, 18,14, and 10. I have never handled an 18" tier before. Any help? Advice? What do I flip it onto to cool? Do they make cooling racks that big? How on earth do I torte it and lift half off and then put it back on? Any suggestions and advice are greatly appreciated! TIA...

4 replies
BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 23 Sep 2012 , 1:01am
post #2 of 5

First of all try to find a half round pan. If you have an extra oven rack, that will make a good cooling/flipping rack too.

Don't torte--bake 1" deep layers using the magic cake strips and parchment liners on the bottom, then you can handle them easily. When the parchment is up, you can lift the layer onto the stacked tier and then take off the parchment.

tullicious Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tullicious Posted 23 Sep 2012 , 1:14am
post #3 of 5

aha! perfect! i had no idea half round pans existed. makes it seem alot more doable now! thanks so much!!

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 23 Sep 2012 , 4:06am
post #4 of 5

Most home ovens aren't big enough for an 18" round pan... if yours is, you can flip the cake out of the pan onto an 18" circle, place another 18" circle on the bottom, then flip the "sandwiched" cake upright to prevent it from cracking if it's humped. Remove the top circle while it's continuing to cool. Leave the cake on the bottom circle for easy handling and for support if freezing.

Tyler4250 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Tyler4250 Posted 23 Sep 2012 , 7:24pm
post #5 of 5

I use my large rimless cookie sheets to move around these larger layers. Much easier than trying to pick up with my hands. I have torted a 16" round with no problem and was able to slide the cookie sheet where I had sliced to torte. Hope it helps.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%