Tiered Cakes

Decorating By Darstus Updated 23 Sep 2012 , 2:37pm by Darstus

Darstus Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Darstus Posted 21 Sep 2012 , 2:21pm
post #1 of 10

I have usually used non-melting sugar between my tiers to avaoid sticking. I can no longer find this. What do you think is the best to use between tiers>

9 replies
costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 21 Sep 2012 , 6:17pm
post #2 of 10

I just put a piece of waxed paper between the tiers. No matter what you do there's going to be some sticking. At least with the paper It doesn't add anything extra to the icing.

CiNoRi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CiNoRi Posted 21 Sep 2012 , 6:44pm
post #3 of 10

not quite sure of what you are asking....would an SPS stacking system help you?

Darstus Posted 22 Sep 2012 , 6:47pm
post #4 of 10

Let me be more clear. I usually use wooden dowels cut flush with the cake for support when doing stacked tiers. In the past, I have used a non melting sugar before placing a tier to keep it fron sticking to the tier below it. I can no longer purchase the non melting sugar. Am doing a stacked wedding cake and am not sure what I should put between the tiers. Powder sugar will dissolve....sticky. Do not want to use nuts or coconut sprinkled between. Worry that waxed paper could allow the cake tier to slide. I have read that crystal sugar will work. Have never cut dowels longer to allow space between tiers. Again, I worry about stability. Hope this is explains my problem better.

costumeczar Posted 22 Sep 2012 , 8:52pm
post #5 of 10

That's what I thought you meant...I cut my dowels flush with the cake too, and the waxed paper circle slightly smaller than the tier that will be sitting on it. That way most of the upper tier is sitting on the paper, but there's a little bit around the edge that's touching the icing on the tier below. I never have any problems with sliding tiers. I also transport cakes when they're chilled from the fridge, though, so the icing has had a chance to harden up and grab the plate of the cake sitting on it, if that makes sense.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 22 Sep 2012 , 9:56pm
post #6 of 10

The one and *only!* time I used wax paper (after reading the 'hint' on this board yrs ago) my cake tiers totally slid apart during transport icon_sad.gif I would NOT suggest it ever!
Some people used powdered sugar; some graham cracker or toasted cake crumbs. I would think crystal sugar would have a crunch that I'd find Unappealing.

costumeczar Posted 23 Sep 2012 , 1:42am
post #7 of 10

I swear on the Bible, I use waxed paper every week between tiers on multiple wedding cakes, and I don't have sliders! icon_smile.gif You have to make sure the waxed paper isn't the same size as the tier above it and it works fine.

gbbaker Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gbbaker Posted 23 Sep 2012 , 2:11am
post #8 of 10
niccicola Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
niccicola Posted 23 Sep 2012 , 1:01pm
post #9 of 10

I transport my cakes unassembled and assemble on site. I used to use wax paper, but over the years, I have found that I don't need wax paper in between the tiers. If a client is picking up a tiered cake and transporting themselves, I still don't use wax paper and put a long dowel down through the center of the cake to hold everything together.

P.S. KakeLadi - i may have been the one to give you the "hint" years ago. I have a disassembly and trasnportation guide in my gallery that a lot of people found useful and in it, I suggested using wax paper in between tiers. Oops! LOL

Darstus Posted 23 Sep 2012 , 2:37pm
post #10 of 10

Thanks for the comments. Gbbaker, I think that is similar to what I used (mine was made by Ateco) but the reviews included comments about the taste and I would hate to ruin the cake's taste by using it. Niccicola, now that you no longer use waxed paper, what do you use between tiers to avoid sticking? That is with buttercream cakes and cutting the support flush?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%