Pipping Gel And Icing

Decorating By fancyface18 Updated 21 Sep 2012 , 8:37pm by CWR41

fancyface18 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fancyface18 Posted 21 Sep 2012 , 11:57am
post #1 of 4

Hey can anyone help tell me what technique is used in this Hulk cake? Do i just ice the cake and then put piping gel over the icing? It doesnt look as so because it all looks even. please help. I tried contacting the person that posted the cake but no response. Can you help?
LL

3 replies
CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 21 Sep 2012 , 6:39pm
post #2 of 4

What piping gel? I don't see any. Where do you think it's used?

fancyface18 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
fancyface18 Posted 21 Sep 2012 , 8:19pm
post #3 of 4

I thought the dark green color was piping gel but, after looking closer i assume it was just dark green buttercream icing? I dont know how they got it so even. it doesnt look like she iced the cake with the light green and then went over the light green with the dark green. Do you know how it was done? Thanks

CWR41 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CWR41 Posted 21 Sep 2012 , 8:37pm
post #4 of 4

Unless the top is a green plastic base from the topper, it was indeed iced in light green first, then the light green blocks were piped or spread on (adding texture w/spatula), and finally the dark green was piped into the spaces remaining.

It isn't necessary to ice the cake with any color first... you could ice in white, or omit icing it altogether since the added blocks are thick enough that cake doesn't show through. (only the top surface needs to be iced, unless the blocks are piped on the edge of plastic.)

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%