Wonky Cake Help

Decorating By flower68 Updated 21 Sep 2012 , 9:03pm by flower68

flower68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flower68 Posted 21 Sep 2012 , 10:48am
post #1 of 3

Hi there,

I would really appreciate some help, I am in the process of making a 4 tier wonky cake, I have made 3 tier ones in the past with no problems, however, the 4th tier keeps slipping, I have tried to glue the board but then the cake slips off the board, its a madeira sponge cake and I am at my wits end as its for tomorrow!!!! Any ideas would be most welcome!!

Many thanks

Julie x

2 replies
Pearl123 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Pearl123 Posted 21 Sep 2012 , 11:06am
post #2 of 3

Hi flower68. Without seeing a pic or a more thorough description of how wonky it is (sizes, supports system in it, tilt angles etc), its a bit tough to tell you.
I just been reading Collette Peters on the wonky cakes... the number one thing is balance. Ensure the tilts are balanced out and supported well. the BOTTOM of the cake should not necessarily be tilted. It should be tapered to look like that. Also insert a dowel through all 4 tiers.
Are you "glueing" the cake to the board with RI or similiar?

flower68 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
flower68 Posted 21 Sep 2012 , 9:03pm
post #3 of 3

Thank you! I have now managed to sort this out and it is no longer slipping, yes I am using royal icing, I think i didn't leave it long enough to dry and panicked, I have been using dowels for support but have never used them through all the cake and boards? how does this work? I will also look at not tilting the bottom cake next time, I have tried to attach a pic but I dion't think it worked, any way my only problem now is travelling with it!! Happy days!!

Thank you very much for your response

Julie

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%