Im Sooooo Nervous- First Cake Order

Decorating By doodles2 Updated 21 Sep 2012 , 2:54am by Heather_bakes

doodles2 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
doodles2 Posted 20 Sep 2012 , 9:54pm
post #1 of 4

a lady at work asked me to make a cake for her granddaughters first birthday. Which is fine, Ive done a number one cake before,its not toooo hard. The problem is, she hasnt given me any direction at all and now Im doubting myself icon_smile.gif I showed her pictures of my number one cake that Id done before, plus others from the internet. She said oh whatever you want to do.... I also asked her what kind of cake she wanted and she said oh whatever.....so I made a chocolate mud cake (its a recipe ive used before and people love it)

Im just so nervous about everything! its the first time Ive charged for a cake (and Im not making any money off it, thats for sure ) I just hope she likes it. Especially because I have to work with her lol

anyone been here? Im just stressing and want some to tell me it will be fine LOL

3 replies
inspiredbymom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
inspiredbymom Posted 20 Sep 2012 , 10:09pm
post #2 of 4

Don't you just love those? Creative freedom can be good and bad. You want to make her happy but it is also a chance to try new things too! I always ask if they have a theme or special invitations. I always look at those as a chance to try a new technique or design while I'm getting paid for it! I wouldn't worry too much. (even though we always do!) If she doesn't like it, ask why and go from there. Good luck on your adventure! icon_smile.gif

kello Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kello Posted 20 Sep 2012 , 10:37pm
post #3 of 4

Yes, I've been there. I usually always ask about the invitations they used and go from there. Or I've done something to match their bedroom scheme.

Heather_bakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Heather_bakes Posted 21 Sep 2012 , 2:54am
post #4 of 4

I love and hate getting orders from friends and family. I doubt if I am getting the order because they like my cakes or because they want to 'do me a favour'. I am flattered but then I get paranoid and nervous. Ugh it sucks.
but honestly if she has seen similar cakes that you have done then she knows what to expect. Don't doubt yourself, you will do great icon_smile.gif Have fun with it.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%