Lots Of ?'s - Square Cake - Scroll

Decorating By mystsparkle Updated 21 Sep 2012 , 2:09am by BlueRose8302

mystsparkle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mystsparkle Posted 20 Sep 2012 , 7:42pm
post #1 of 7

Hi all! im going to be doing my first square cake, that will be 3 tiers. Any hints would be great!

This will be the first time i'm covering this in buttercream, and also baking a square cake. I usually use a crusting buttercream, which i actually think crusts too much, which im trying to fix... But was wondering:

a. Do you think its easier to use a crusting or non crusting when smoothing it onto a square, or does it really matter, just a preferance?

b. are there any special hints i need to know before baking a square cake?

c. I'm going to be doing royal icing scroll work on the sides, which i think i'd rather trace the design, and then apply to the side of the squares. - will this be okay? and this will have to be in black... Is it ok to make black royal icing, or should i buy it? (if i even can)

d. this isnt until January - so i'll probably end up baking a testing to make sure i can do this!!
i think thats all for now..but i'm sure there will be more! thanks

6 replies
BlueRose8302 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlueRose8302 Posted 20 Sep 2012 , 8:02pm
post #2 of 7

I have never noticed a difference in baking a square cake as opposed to a round. Just make sure you have appropriate heating core/nail if the pan is large and bake until finished!

Have you ever put royal icing on buttercream? I haven't, because I know that any amount of oil/butter/grease/fat will make royal icing soft keep it from ever hardening. Black isn't a problem at all--but I would be worried about the royal on the buttercream. Of course, if you buttercream is very crusting--that might make it ok. I don't really know, but it raises a flag for me.

Icing a square cake. Well. That takes practice. There are lots of tips and techniques like icing any cake. Might just wanna see what works for you. There is the one where you hold a second spatula at the corner and ice right up to the edge of it and then pull it away and it is supposed to leave a sharp edge. Also, the viva towel technique plus folding the towel around the corner to smooth it. Lots more, too. Do a search on it and see what makes sense to you!

Good luck!

mystsparkle Posted 20 Sep 2012 , 8:51pm
post #3 of 7

Thanks! I will watch some videso and def practice that!

I was worried about royal icing on buttercream too.... is there any other option instead of piping it directly onto the buttercream? I'd rather follow a pattern, as this is something i havent had much practice with either.

BlueRose8302 Posted 20 Sep 2012 , 9:51pm
post #4 of 7

Well, there are impression mats and stencils that you can press into the crusted buttercream and leaves the patter on the cake. Then all you have to do it pipe over it! Or, if the pattern isn't too tiny, you could do it in fondant, let it dry a bit, and put it on the cake? I bet you could just pipe it, though! Just keep the bag moving nice and steady!

mystsparkle Posted 21 Sep 2012 , 1:49am
post #5 of 7

I did see those impression items...but i think it may be more of a hassel..I think i'll practice freehanding it and go from there!

one more question, if you don't mind... I know i mentioned crustings/vs not... If the recipe i use to cover the cake is crusting..do i then just thin out that same recipe and pipe with it? Will it also crust with that added liquid? Is the piped part suppose to crust?

Thanks, sorry if they seem silly... i sometimes think i over think when it's something new, and its prob just less stressful to jump in there!

bellacakecreations Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
bellacakecreations Posted 21 Sep 2012 , 2:07am
post #6 of 7

I used royal icing over a crusting buttercream with no problem just make sure the royal is thick and the buttercream has set. There are plenty of stencils out there....this is a pic of a royal icing stenciled cake I did. It was practice and I didn't smooth my buttercream but icon_razz.gif
LL

BlueRose8302 Posted 21 Sep 2012 , 2:09am
post #7 of 7

The crusting will be just fine to pipe with--I like it that way cuz it stays in place better. Don't add too much liquid, though. A touch more shortening or piping gel helps keep your strings from breaking. I know you can pipe it free hand. I like to draw what I am going to do first on paper....then pipe on something...and then the cake. I believe in you!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%