How Do I Make Chocolate Panels?

Decorating By perfectcakebyshirley Updated 21 Sep 2012 , 4:45pm by WickedGoodies

perfectcakebyshirley Posted 20 Sep 2012 , 1:47pm
post #1 of 5

I've seen cakes with rectangular chocolate panels going around the side of the cake, which is the effect I'd like to do. How do you make the panels? If it's cutting them out, I don't think I can cut them so they're identical... Any suggestions? Also, how do you attach them - do they stick to buttercream?

4 replies
LisaPeps Posted 20 Sep 2012 , 7:58pm
post #3 of 5

Mich turner uses strips of modelling chocolate rather than tempered chocolate. You'd be less prone to breakages if you use modelling chocolate. Literally just roll it out and cut rectangles to the desired height and width.

soozicake Posted 21 Sep 2012 , 10:28am
post #4 of 5

If wanting to use chocolate there are a variety of 'chocolate shard' molds available. I use melted chocolate to attach.

WickedGoodies Posted 21 Sep 2012 , 4:45pm
post #5 of 5

I use modeling chocolate to make panels. My recipe is here:

Quote by @%username% on %date%