Fondant Bubbling Up

Decorating By Shez1985 Updated 20 Sep 2012 , 12:42pm by chocolatefudgecakefan

Shez1985 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Shez1985 Posted 20 Sep 2012 , 10:02am
post #1 of 3

Can any one help me?
My problem is that i made my wedding cake and it all looked perfect when i first put the fondant on, really smooth, then the next day/later that day the fondant started to bubble up.
My question is how do i stop the bubbles appearing?
Iv heard it may be because the cake was cold out when putting the fondant on?
I left my cakes overnight in the fridge to harden the crumb coat (buttercream)...should i have let the cake warm up a bit after taking it out the fridge before putting the fondant over?
Thanks for any help you can give,
Sheri.

2 replies
chocolatefudgecakefan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocolatefudgecakefan Posted 20 Sep 2012 , 12:39pm
post #2 of 3

I have found this question and answer on Lindy's blog, it may help, there may also be other tips on her site that might help (http://www.lindyscakes.co.uk/blog2/):

I am new to the cake decorating lark and throughly enjoying it. I especially like your book Cakes to inspire and desire.

When I roll my sugarpaste, I tend to use cornflour. Is this ok? I am a bit hesitant to use white fat, because I worry in case it makes the paste greasy.

Your advice would be appreciated
Lindy Smith says:  
April 9, 2009 at 9:38 am Edit  

Hi Davina
The problem with cornflour is that it can cause fermentation between the icing and the cake causing the cake to blow. This is also true of some icing sugars as they contain anti caking agents. Why not give white vegetable fat a go, you only need a very little! To most people I teach its a complete revelation!
Keep enjoying your new found hobby
Lindy

chocolatefudgecakefan Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
chocolatefudgecakefan Posted 20 Sep 2012 , 12:42pm
post #3 of 3

Sorry didn't supply link where I found this answer: http://www.lindyscakes.co.uk/2009/03/08/rolling-out-sugarpaste-%E2%80%93-top-tips/ somewhere near the bottom in the questions and answers/comments section.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%