How Much Time To Bake Mixed Batter

Decorating By mrsg1111 Updated 21 Sep 2012 , 2:51pm by mrsg1111

mrsg1111 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mrsg1111 Posted 20 Sep 2012 , 4:11am
post #1 of 9

I'm sure this has already been addressed but didn't find any posts on it.

I am trying to cut down the time it takes to bake. I wanted to mix 3 batches of batter so it's ready to bake. I can only bake 2 cakes at a time since i only have 1 pan of each size (i'm a hobby baker and only bake for friends and family). I have to make 9 layers. Do you have to bake immediately after mixing or can i mix it and have it sit out while each cake is baking?

8 replies
Jessielynn21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jessielynn21 Posted 20 Sep 2012 , 4:40am
post #2 of 9

I have made batter and let it sit on the table while others are baking, I just covered and gave it one quick mix before I put it in the pan. I have also stuck it in the fridge, but i'm always a little afraid because most mixes say to have all ingredients at room temp. I only do that if I am waiting overnight and I let it come back to room temp. before baking.

vgcea Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
vgcea Posted 20 Sep 2012 , 4:43am
post #3 of 9

Depending on the type of batter and leavening used, you can refrigerate or freeze batter till you are ready to bake. Google is your friend. Search for: refrigerate batter cake central. Loads of threads on the subject.

Wildgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wildgirl Posted 20 Sep 2012 , 6:55am
post #4 of 9

I've covered & refrigerated some and it was fine when I baked it later.

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 20 Sep 2012 , 11:02pm
post #5 of 9

Why not mix the next batch while the first set of pans is baking? Then all the batches will sit the same length of time.

How long batter can sit also depends on the kind of batter. Spongecake made with whipped egg whites is NOT going to bake OK after sitting overnight.

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 21 Sep 2012 , 12:41am
post #6 of 9

I will say that emulsion-type cake batters (e.g., typical cake mixes other than Angel Food) surprise me with just how abuse-tolerant they are. A few weeks ago, when I made the Leland Awards cake for the Printing Museum, I drew off enough batter to make a cupcake for our one dairy-allergic docent, and opened the oven long enough to pull the cupcake without the main cake being affected at all, other than a slight increase in the baking time. When I asked here before undertaking that feat, I was told that I could have also either delayed putting the cupcake in, or baked sequentially, and it would have worked just as well.

Not to mention that getting my signature strawberry marble cake ready to bake is a lot less nerve-wracking, knowing that the batter won't collapse on me if I don't rush it into the oven.

mrsg1111 Posted 21 Sep 2012 , 12:59am
post #7 of 9

Thank you all for your inmput. I will be giving it a try tonight... crossing fingers.

justpracticecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justpracticecakes Posted 21 Sep 2012 , 1:16am
post #8 of 9

I have had left over batter and just put it in the fridge overnight. It seems to bake up a little bit gummy if i use it for large cakes but cup cakes and small layers it seems to be fine.i use box cake mix. thumbs_up.gif

mrsg1111 Posted 21 Sep 2012 , 2:51pm
post #9 of 9

Result: Everything worked out. Instead of making 4 separate batches i made 2 batches of 2. I made chocolate cakes from scratch and it was fine. I would have made all 4 at once but i wasn't sure if i was going to need 3 or 4 batches. I normally would mix the next batch while one was baking but that was so exhausting Especially when i've been making cakes with 6 or 9 layers (2 or 3 tiers). Also, this has freed up a little more time so i can start other things like fillings and icings or decorations while the cakes are baking. Now i need to invest in some more pans of the same size so i can bake multiple at the same time.

Thank you all for your input! It was very helpful!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%