How Do I Make Fondant Pieces Stand On Top Of The Cake

Decorating By HilmirFreyr Updated 19 Sep 2012 , 11:32pm by debidehm

HilmirFreyr Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
HilmirFreyr Posted 19 Sep 2012 , 5:10pm
post #1 of 11

Hi, this is probably a stupid question but I am wondering how for example the houses stand on top of the cake. I don't mean the ones on the sides but I don't see how the buildings on top of the cake are able to stand like that, a hint would be greatly appreciated icon_smile.gif
LL

10 replies
Diana81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Diana81 Posted 19 Sep 2012 , 5:24pm
post #2 of 11

Maybe they inserted toothpicks at the bottom?

shkepa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shkepa Posted 19 Sep 2012 , 5:30pm
post #3 of 11

Tooth pick but lots of time s that do not hold up well -
Stir stickes glues to the back of the pieces and make them log so they go deep into the cake,

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 19 Sep 2012 , 5:36pm
post #4 of 11

I use stir sticks inserted into the bottom, or toothpicks. It jsut depends on how large the piece is. Taller the piece the more support you need. And you have to make sure the piece is dry, or it will crack around the support system. Insert your stick before it is dry, or you will have to "glue" it to the back. HTH

karensjustdessert Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
karensjustdessert Posted 19 Sep 2012 , 5:53pm
post #5 of 11

I used lollipop sticks. Super strong.

Sonya Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Sonya Posted 19 Sep 2012 , 6:49pm
post #6 of 11

I use dowel rods or bamboo skewers cut to length. After my figure dries I attach the dowels or skewers with melted choc. or super glue. Only use super glue if its not going to be eaten..... icon_wink.gif

HilmirFreyr Posted 19 Sep 2012 , 6:53pm
post #7 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by karensjustdessert

I used lollipop sticks. Super strong.

O.k. do you then put it so it shows at the back of the building for example or do you insert it into the building so it does not show'

mom2twogrlz Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
mom2twogrlz Posted 19 Sep 2012 , 10:25pm
post #8 of 11

I insert so it doesn't show. I like my cakes to be viewable from all sides. But do this in the begining, let the figure harden around the stick.

debidehm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debidehm Posted 19 Sep 2012 , 10:38pm
post #9 of 11

If you don't get the support in before it dries, you can glue it in the back...and then cover that glue smudge with another little building the same size as the original, or smaller. That way the cake can be viewed from all sides! icon_smile.gif

HilmirFreyr Posted 19 Sep 2012 , 11:10pm
post #10 of 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by debidehm

If you don't get the support in before it dries, you can glue it in the back...and then cover that glue smudge with another little building the same size as the original, or smaller. That way the cake can be viewed from all sides! icon_smile.gif

Of course that's brilliant and I will use that method, thank you so much icon_smile.gif

debidehm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debidehm Posted 19 Sep 2012 , 11:32pm
post #11 of 11

You're welcome!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%