Selling Cupcakes At An Event

Business By tink986201 Updated 20 Sep 2012 , 12:39am by tink986201

tink986201 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tink986201 Posted 19 Sep 2012 , 2:16am
post #1 of 9

So I want to sell my cupcakes in the future at different types of events. My questions are how main cupcakes is it best to make, is it easier to just to do two different types of cupcakes, do you have the cupcakes prepackaged, or do you package them there, and with the cottage food law I know you have to label the boxes but I was wondering would it be wise to also have signs on the table saying exactly what's on the label?

I would appreciate any advice.

8 replies
MimiFix Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MimiFix Posted 19 Sep 2012 , 3:03am
post #2 of 9

It's always nice to give customers a choice, but 3 is more than enough. Pre-packaged is usually required by venues and is easiest for quick sales. With labeling, ask your inspector. They have the final word.

tracyaem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracyaem Posted 19 Sep 2012 , 12:29pm
post #3 of 9

I'm doing an event soon and was wondering the same thing. I have tons of the 4 cupcake holders left over from a shower (had to buy the 100-pack....) so my plan was to pre-package 4 different flavors (maybe mix and match a cake base or frosting so I don't have to make 4 of each), slap a label on it and sell it for $10. I don't want people to have to handle the cupcakes, myself included, and make a mess. Plus, like others mentioned - I think it needs to be pre-packaged for safe food handling. And offering choices seems like it would be a pita. Oh, and 4 for $10 really makes it easy on my part, it'd be a pain to sell individually for a few bucks and deal with making tons of change.

SnLSweetEscapes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SnLSweetEscapes Posted 19 Sep 2012 , 12:50pm
post #4 of 9

I have done a couple of events are here is my advice. I was doing unique flavors and most people just wanted Vanilla and Chocolate. So I would suggest to at least have those two flavors. Now if it was me, the more unique the better. But the average person is so used to the box mix cupcakes thats what they are looking for. So maybe in your 4 pack have one chocolate and one vanilla then 2 specialty flavors.

tracyaem Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tracyaem Posted 19 Sep 2012 , 3:45pm
post #5 of 9

Excellent point about the flavors!

I made several dozen cupcakes last week for a wedding rehearsal (all fancy flavors) and threw in a dozen of vanilla at the last minute remembering that there would be kids there. Heard back from a guest that all of the vanilla went first!

elliespartycake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
elliespartycake Posted 19 Sep 2012 , 6:42pm
post #6 of 9

When I started selling my cupcakes, I would fill them, make exciting flavors, etc. Then to streamline things, I began making vanilla and chocolate with frosting flavors like chocolate, mocha, vanilla and raspberry...no fillings. They now sell far better than the fancy exotic ones. I sometimes have boxes of four available, but most people just want one, I package those in a short Solo cup placed in a pleated cellophane candy bag and tied with a pretty string or ribbon. Inexpensive and makes for a quick easy sale.
Good luck!

tink986201 Posted 19 Sep 2012 , 11:25pm
post #7 of 9

So what would be a good number of total cupcakes?

I'm one of those people that would rather have extra than run out half way through.

Thank you for everybody's responses and help.

JaniceBest Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JaniceBest Posted 20 Sep 2012 , 12:22am
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by tink986201

So what would be a good number of total cupcakes?

If you gave us some information about the event or market, we might be able to make a guess. As of now, you have told us nothing.

tink986201 Posted 20 Sep 2012 , 12:39am
post #9 of 9

I don't have one yet I was just wondering what everybody has done, that why I'm better prepared.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%