Why Do I Keep Getting Air Bubbles Under Fondant??

Decorating By CupcakeQT82 Updated 26 May 2013 , 5:50am by planetsomsom

CupcakeQT82 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CupcakeQT82 Posted 19 Sep 2012 , 1:41am
post #1 of 8

I keep getting air bubbles under fondant covered cakes!!! Without fail! The last cake was even dark chocolate ganache iced, and then covered in fondant and I still got air bubbles! I don't know why! I can have a great-looking smooth fondant cake and then the next morning I will go look at my cake in the fridge, and whaddyaknow, a big bubble or two have formed in random spots! Help!

7 replies
icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 19 Sep 2012 , 2:19am
post #2 of 8

Hi, read this and it might help you.

http://jessicakesblog.blogspot.com/

Thea519 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Thea519 Posted 19 Sep 2012 , 4:19pm
post #3 of 8

That happens to me when I refrigerate my crumb coated cake before covering it in fondant. If this is what you're doing, try letting the cake come to room temp before covering it.

shkepa Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shkepa Posted 19 Sep 2012 , 5:34pm
post #4 of 8

the same happens if the cake was frozen before covering the cake definatly needs to be room temp before covering

Maggie12 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Maggie12 Posted 25 May 2013 , 12:14am
post #5 of 8

AIt usually happens when you don't press well the fondant to the cake, when it does happen just go with a needle and poke the air bubbles, that should work, and make sure the cake is at room temperature before covering with fondant.

IHeartCupcakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
IHeartCupcakes Posted 25 May 2013 , 1:44am
post #6 of 8

AI have been having the same problem! It's driving me crazy! My cakes are room temp because I let them sit overnight after I ganache them. I'm also carefull to put the fondant on top of the cake slowly to prevent air pickets and I run over it with a fondant smoother too. I'm carefull to brush the entire cake with shortening before puting the fondant on. I wish I could figure out what I'm doing wrong.

Hanielas Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Hanielas Posted 25 May 2013 , 10:50am
post #7 of 8

This happened to me with my last cake, I don't do cakes too often, I had the cake covered and nearly finished decorating it I turned it around and there was a  huge bubble it was at least 2 inches across.  I always depended on icing alone to work as a "glue". But I'm wondering, since the cake was refrigerated and crumb coated with buttercream, should I brush the cake with some kind of edible glue before putting on the fondant?  I do that when I use ganache but I'm not sure with buttercream.Thank you.

planetsomsom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
planetsomsom Posted 26 May 2013 , 5:50am
post #8 of 8

I think the "glue" was common to be piping gel, but I take a much lazier route and spray a light mist of water from a spray bottle onto the cake before putting the fondant on.

I do still get bubbles occasionally, but much less if I put it on slowly and push air out as I go. Kind of like 8th grade science class  when using the microscope slides! Ha.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%