Can I Make Buttercream Roses A Week Ahead Without Freezing

Decorating By nailbuff Updated 19 Sep 2012 , 4:20am by kakeladi

nailbuff Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nailbuff Posted 18 Sep 2012 , 2:59pm
post #1 of 7

I am going across canada to make my sons wedding cake but would really like to make the roses (buttercream) here before I leave....will they stay good for the four day drive, then I could put them in the freezer when I get there....any suggestions would be appreciated......
Thankyou

6 replies
Jessielynn21 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Jessielynn21 Posted 18 Sep 2012 , 3:08pm
post #2 of 7

I would be afraid that they would melt if they get left in the car. Buttercream goes soft really fast if not under perfect conditions. I would freeze them and then keep them in a cooler the whole time. My only other concern would be condensation when they defrost, so really watch them closely.

Unlimited Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Unlimited Posted 18 Sep 2012 , 3:17pm
post #3 of 7

Yes. Be sure you let them air dry. Don't freeze freshly-made roses because they'll return to the too soft to handle consistency when thawed. No need to freeze them at all, they'll last for months. You can keep them on a tray covered loosely with a sheet of parchment paper to keep dust off. If they are tinted a color that fades (pink or purple), keep them away from light.

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 18 Sep 2012 , 3:54pm
post #4 of 7

Use buttercream as follows: 1 lb shortening WITH trans fat (use a store brand like No-Name), 1 kg icing sugar, only enough white corn syrup to mix smooth.

These will air dry better when you pile them onto cardboard sheets (no greaseproof coating needed) a few days before you start the road trip.

Make ABSOLUTELY sure that the roses are air conditioned during the drive...and no need to freeze at the other end.

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 18 Sep 2012 , 11:21pm
post #5 of 7

You could use royal icing and let them dry.

Heather_bakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Heather_bakes Posted 19 Sep 2012 , 3:55am
post #6 of 7

If it were me I would do royal icing or fondant as I would be concerned about them holding up for the drive. But if you choose buttercream I think one that is made strictly without butter should at least be safe to eat after the trip.

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 19 Sep 2012 , 4:20am
post #7 of 7

Oh definately they can be done in b'cream and kept for months. Just find a good b'cream that crusts. I think I posted a recipe for airdried b'cream flowers many yrs ago but not sure....try a search in the recipes. If you can't find it, use the Wilton class b'cream and cut down a bit on the shortening - the less used the more it will crust/dry. Use it in the stiff consistency or just add a little bit of water until you can pipe w/it w/o hurting your hand. For yrs that's all I ever used to make my flowers icon_smile.gif And they will not melt unless it get over like 90 degrees in the caricon_smile.gif I always made mine on a flower nail covered w/a 2" square of wax paper....remove from nail by the wax paper and set on a cake board, then they can go in a cake box for the trip.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%