Does A 5-8-11 Seem "tiny"?

Decorating By Wildgirl Updated 18 Sep 2012 , 11:54pm by Evoir

Wildgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wildgirl Posted 18 Sep 2012 , 2:56am
post #1 of 10

My first (and only other) wedding cake was a 7-9-11. For this cake I was thinking of doing a 5-8-11. That, along with the grooms cake, will give us just exactly the amount of cake we'd need. I was hoping to do just a bit smaller than the first one... it seemed so big and intimidating to me...

Here we go again. More questions. icon_redface.gif The bride doesn't care what I do (as long as it's chocolate). Should I just do the 7-9-11 again so it looks bigger and we have plenty of cake? Or should I make the smaller one and have just enough? Honestly, any cake I've ever made and figured servings, we always had lots extra - and people were eating it too. But I don't want this cake to look too dinky either...

Any one up to helping me "think"?

9 replies
auntginn Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auntginn Posted 18 Sep 2012 , 3:08am
post #2 of 10

It does seem small, but then again you didn't say how many persons you are feeding.

Can you add a dummy cake to the bottom to give it some extra ump??

lilmissbakesalot Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
lilmissbakesalot Posted 18 Sep 2012 , 3:08am
post #3 of 10

It won't be tiny at all. I love that size for a three tiered cake. I have done quite a few and they are very nice looking and not itty bitty at all.

This cake is that size: http://www.flickr.com/photos/thewelldressedcake/5037515019/in/set-72157622840826561

Wildgirl Posted 18 Sep 2012 , 3:34am
post #4 of 10

I suppose it will be just as tall as the first cake I did - just the top two tiers each an inch smaller... and it will be on a stand....

Thanks for the pic (it looks soooo perfect!!) it helped.

AZCouture Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AZCouture Posted 18 Sep 2012 , 3:56am
post #5 of 10

One of my favorite sizes.

Wildgirl Posted 18 Sep 2012 , 5:18am
post #6 of 10

Thank you - that gives me more confidence! thumbs_up.gif

Marianna46 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Marianna46 Posted 18 Sep 2012 , 6:11am
post #7 of 10

I find tiered cakes that have each tier three inches smaller than the one undermeath to be more esthetically pleasing than ones that differ by just two inches, so I, for one, think your cake will be gorgeous in that size.

Wildgirl Posted 18 Sep 2012 , 3:26pm
post #8 of 10

Good. It's also mentally easier (not that it really should matter, but it does)- and since my time is a bit limited for getting this together, whatever helps!!

costumeczar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
costumeczar Posted 18 Sep 2012 , 11:17pm
post #9 of 10

I do that size occasionally, it's on the small side but it looks fine proportionally.

Evoir Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Evoir Posted 18 Sep 2012 , 11:54pm
post #10 of 10

I don't think its 'dinky' by any means!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%