Has Anyone Bought The Art Of Royal Icing By Eddie Spence?

Decorating By Foxicakes Updated 22 Jun 2014 , 9:02pm by JaninaLaRiviere

Foxicakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Foxicakes Posted 17 Sep 2012 , 4:57am
post #1 of 40

....and if so, was it worth the money and did you learn anything from it? I know that Mr Spence is supposed to be the king of RI but his book is awfully expensive when compared to other cake decorating books. So is it worth it? Or if you do have it, along with other books, is there one that you would recommend instead? Thanks in advance for any help.

39 replies
Megan1979 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Megan1979 Posted 17 Sep 2012 , 5:04am
post #2 of 40

Yes I have and I love it icon_biggrin.gif

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 17 Sep 2012 , 3:43pm
post #3 of 40

This is the best book for royal icing work.Lots of templates in the back, and contemporary designs unlike any other books.

You get a decent discount from amazon plus free shipping.

Kittens212 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kittens212 Posted 3 Jan 2013 , 11:45am
post #4 of 40

is anyone willing to sell their book?  reply to my email:  [email protected]

tdovewings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdovewings Posted 3 Jan 2013 , 2:21pm
post #5 of 40

Yes and I love it! 

Although I don't do royal icing work very often because many of my clients are allergic to eggs, I've learned a tremendous amount from this book.

I've gone through half of the lessons in the book and it has improved my piping skills tremendously. Especially the lessons on pressure piping. 

Unfortunately, I don't get to use these skills much, because most customers want a different style cake. However, I do refer to the book a few times a month. Additionally it is quite a beautiful book and I flip through the pages a lot looking at his amazing work. 

Cakepro Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cakepro Posted 3 Jan 2013 , 5:39pm
post #6 of 40

I have it and highly recommend it.  :)

MsGF Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MsGF Posted 3 Jan 2013 , 5:41pm
post #7 of 40

I have it.  I love it, it is worth every cent.  I highly recommend it.   thumbs_up.gif

Regards;

MsGF

JWinslow Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
JWinslow Posted 3 Jan 2013 , 5:59pm
post #8 of 40

Love this book.  Worth every penny.  Definitely recommend it.  You will learn basic piping to advanced techniques.  There are lessons to follow and templates to use.  I used it learn some oriental string work, bridge work and much more.

Alexsmommee Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Alexsmommee Posted 19 Jun 2013 , 3:12am
post #9 of 40

Just got my copy yesterday.  Wow!  It's beautiful.  However I'm wondering why it is so much on Amazon.  I found copies from $400 to $1200.  The cheapest I found was $120 + $30 shipping, used.  I bought it directly from Squires Kitchen in the UK and had it shipped here.   £35 for the book and another £26 for shipping.  This came to about $96 US.  I paid more than that for some college text books 20 years ago, and this sure is a whole lot nicer!

Cassie2500 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cassie2500 Posted 19 Jun 2013 , 3:43am
post #10 of 40

Does it have his royal icing recipe in the book? 

JWinslow Posted 19 Jun 2013 , 4:57am
post #11 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cassie2500 

Does it have his royal icing recipe in the book? 

Yes.  He gives you fresh egg & dried albumen recipes as well as 5 consistencies, method and uses.  I am SO glad I got this book! 

Cassie2500 Posted 19 Jun 2013 , 12:54pm
post #12 of 40

What is dried albumen?

nannycook Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
nannycook Posted 19 Jun 2013 , 1:16pm
post #13 of 40

ACassie i think its egg white used in royal icing.

Cassie2500 Posted 19 Jun 2013 , 1:35pm
post #14 of 40

OK!  Thanks!!  I really want the book, but paying that kind of money is tough.  The cheapest I found was $87-that is the book and shipping together.  That is a lot better than $415 up to $4,000 from what I saw when looking for it. 

manddi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
manddi Posted 19 Jun 2013 , 2:04pm
post #15 of 40

AHave you looked on eBay? I got mine for about $55. I think the book was $30 and shipping was about $25.

Cassie2500 Posted 19 Jun 2013 , 5:31pm
post #16 of 40

Yes I looked on ebay, but it said they were out of that particular book.  I will look again before I order.

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Cassie2500 Posted 19 Jun 2013 , 7:04pm
post #18 of 40

Thanks, Shanter!!  I was just about to pay $46 for the book and another $20 to have it shipped from UK!!  The website you gave me doesn't even charge shipping here in the USA!!  I also saw another book showing how to work with modeling chocolate, which I've wanted to learn, too.  So I'll get 2 books for what I was going to pay for the one!!  Thank you, thank you, thank you!!  What would I do without Cake Central or Facebook?  Thanks again!!

JWinslow Posted 19 Jun 2013 , 7:26pm
post #19 of 40
Quote:

You beat me!  I was getting ready to paste in the link - :)  Did you check out the shipping?  If I read it right $0.00 in the US

shanter Posted 19 Jun 2013 , 7:40pm
post #20 of 40

Holy Cow! Somebody got that one, because now it is listed at

Price: US$ 4,630.18
Shipping: US$ 3.99

icon_eek.gif

JWinslow Posted 19 Jun 2013 , 7:48pm
post #21 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by shanter 

Holy Cow! Somebody got that one, because now it is listed at

Price: US$ 4,630.18
Shipping: US$ 3.99

icon_eek.gif

Wow!  That was too fast to be real.  I just don't get the new price.......

tdovewings Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
tdovewings Posted 19 Jun 2013 , 8:13pm
post #22 of 40

Whoa! Is it out of print already? That's steep, I got mine about 2 years ago and it was ~$40, I settled on the book because I couldn't get a Lambeth book for less than $4,000. Maybe I'll never open mine again, then sell it to pay for my kids college when they get older. 

Gerle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Gerle Posted 21 Jun 2013 , 1:18am
post #23 of 40

I bought the book not quite a year ago, and it only cost me $40.  Can't believe it's in the thousands now!  Don't remember who I bought it from but it was a bookstore online.  Glad I got it when I did!

Cassie2500 Posted 21 Jun 2013 , 2:20pm
post #24 of 40

Bummers!!  I placed an order for The Art of Royal Icing on www.abebooks.com  Wednesday.  It was $57.09.  Well I got an email from them today which said the bookseller accepted the order in error and they refunded my money.  I was looking forward to getting that book.  I guess I'll search around more and try to find it somewhere else.  If y'all know of any other website I can find it at, let me know. 

imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
imagenthatnj Posted 21 Jun 2013 , 4:04pm
post #26 of 40

Those prices that you see on websites that are in the thousands, are put in there until (and if) the book gets in stock again. I happened to go through that with the Ladurée Sucré book. Once it was back in stock, the prices went down from $400 to $25.

shanter Posted 21 Jun 2013 , 4:10pm
post #27 of 40

That's right. You just have to keep checking the sites, especially eBay, Abe, and Amazon (I almost always buy Amazon used from third-party sellers) until the right price pops up.

Actually, there's one on that eBay UK link for 21 pounds (about 31 US dollars), which is not bad. Also has free shipping, although that may be only for the UK.

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 21 Jun 2013 , 6:03pm
post #28 of 40

AUh oh, there's a Laduree book? Drool.

liz at sugar Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
liz at sugar Posted 21 Jun 2013 , 8:46pm
post #29 of 40

There are two Laduree books: Sweet and Savory.  I have the Sweet one (Sucre) and it is lovely.  It comes in a tissue lined box, and the cookbook itself is a padded velour (not very handy if you want it in your kitchen).  Love it.

Liz

kikiandkyle Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kikiandkyle Posted 22 Jun 2013 , 1:42am
post #30 of 40

AI looked them up on Amazon, I think there's a third on entertaining too. Looks like I know what I'll be getting for my birthday this year!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%