Fondant On Cake Question Help Pls.

Decorating By amaniemom Updated 18 Sep 2012 , 2:33pm by cakecraving

amaniemom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
amaniemom Posted 16 Sep 2012 , 5:11pm
post #1 of 11

How long in advanced can you cover a cake with fondant? After covering the cake do I have to put it in the fridge, will it crack? Basically any help in this area would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks.

10 replies
Diana81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Diana81 Posted 16 Sep 2012 , 5:18pm
post #2 of 11

I cover my cakes two days before and I don t refrigerate my fondant covered cakes if my frosting doesn t require refrigeration. People do it differently.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 16 Sep 2012 , 6:20pm
post #3 of 11

I always put fondant covered cakes in the fridge, as I work them late Friday nights (typically) and finish work Sat morning. I have never had a problem with my fondant.

I actually try to add as much decor as I before the condensation dries because it allows me to apply decor without needing to brush water or sugar glue ot my pieces.

I have cakes in the fridge for 5 days without staleness. I have one customers whose kid's bithdays land during our annual vacation, so quite often I bring them to her and she freezes them for a week or more. She says they are very moist, likely because the moisture from thawing is trapped.

Rules: Make sure the cake is out of the fridge at least 2 hours prior to party.
For frozen cakes, move them from the freezer to the fridge 24 hrs prior. Then remove from the fridge 2 hours prior to party.

If condensation has not dried enough due to high humidity, a hair dryer works wonders.

Diana81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Diana81 Posted 16 Sep 2012 , 6:57pm
post #4 of 11

I love this forum, learning a lot!

h2o_db Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
h2o_db Posted 16 Sep 2012 , 9:07pm
post #5 of 11

waouw that is some news! I always thought you couldn't put a fondant covered cake in a fridge due to the high humidity level in there... I had tried it once and it came out all sticky... so since then I've put my cakes (none are filled with something that needs to be kept in the fridge) in a card box away from humidity.

When you put them in the fridge do you cover your cakes some how (clinging film, box...) ?

amaniemom Posted 17 Sep 2012 , 2:12am
post #6 of 11

Ya good point would you put the fondant covered cake in the fridge with something to cover it like seran wrap ( clinging wrap) or something else?

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 17 Sep 2012 , 4:35am
post #7 of 11

No, if cover it in wrap it will stick to the condensation. You could put in a box, but it will still develop condensation when you take it out.

The condensation dries and your cake will be fine. I've used Satin Ice, Fondarific, and Wilton in the past, but I exclusively use MMF now. They all react the same - just condensation that dries. It does take longer to dry the more humid it is.

amaniemom Posted 17 Sep 2012 , 4:46am
post #8 of 11

Thanks for the info!

jabellescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jabellescakes Posted 18 Sep 2012 , 1:05pm
post #9 of 11

Hiya.....I never put my covered cakes in the fridge once they're finalised in fondant....in saying so I am in Aust.. eg: I have a cake to go out on the Sat, I'll cover on the Wed & do everything prior to delivery...box it up and keep it in a cool dark place, if it's in our summer I make sure the A/C is on. We tend to ganache out here rather than buttercream under our fondant here....
Cheers Jabelle's aka Tracy

Chellescakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Chellescakes Posted 18 Sep 2012 , 1:14pm
post #10 of 11

I have never put my finished fondanted cake in the fridge, I live 500metres from the ocean so it can be very humid . I have found that a refrigerated fondant cake will rarely dry out again under these conditions.

My timeline is usually bake Tuesday, ganache Wednesday, cover Thursday , finish decorating Friday , Deliver Sat\\Sun

cakecraving Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cakecraving Posted 18 Sep 2012 , 2:33pm
post #11 of 11

Everyone does things different. I agree with MacsMom 100%. All I do is fondant cakes and every cake I have ever done goes into the fridge. Just dont touch the condinsation when you pull it out or you will have fingerprints (lesson learned the hard way). Everyone has a different way of doing things and there is no right or wrong way just preference.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%