bbsmom Posted 16 Sep 2012 , 12:40pm
post #1 of

Ive been practicing covering cake boards with fondant and thought Id gotten the hang of it. I tried it on a large (20) board this weekend for grandsons cake, and after it dried the edges (sides) cracked off when we lifted the board & cake. Am I rolling it to thin? Should I not cover the sides of a foam core board with fondant-was that my problem? I use "The Mat" so it was soft & workable when I applied and no tears or cracks along the edges when I was done. I used a light brushing of piping gel to adhere to the sides/top of the foam core board used. Also, I covered the board 2 days ahead of event but sealed it in plastic wrap until the night before when I assembled cake. Im using Satin Ice fondant and want to do this again for upcoming wedding but fondant falling off the sides is not the look I was going for icon_redface.gif Thanks for any advice!

9 replies
Bluehue Posted 16 Sep 2012 , 1:07pm
post #2 of

Before i cover any cake board with fondat this is what i do...

Turn my cake board over -
Trace my cake tin lightly with a pencil - then stick these little clear surface protectors inside the pencil circle.
http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Set-120-Surface-Savers-Protectors-Self-Adhesive-/400120250206
I buy mine from the hardware - this was the first link i came across.... but it gives you a visual.

Four opposite each other - and then one in the middle.

Flip cake board over -
Brush cake board with a coating of sugar glue - including the edges
Then roll fondant out
Lay on cake board
Using a piece of acetate smoooth all over -
then lifting the cake board up i smooth around the edges
Pressing firm so as the acetate cuts through leaving a nice smooth edge all around.

The reason i use the little clear sticky feet is so as when it comes time to lift the cake board - one can easily get a knife under it and voula - no cracked broken edges... thumbs_up.gificon_biggrin.gif

Considering i am only using 5 little feet it adds up to not much..
But all factored into the final price of the cake.

If i am going to add a ribbon to the edge of the cake board - i wait a day for the fondant to be dry - then flip over onto a piece of oven bake paper
Lightly brush the edge of the cake board with sugar glue.
Then attach ribbon.
Wait about 30 minutes - then sliding the baking paper to the edge of the bench - i flip the board over again (right way up)
Then with a knife in one hand i gently place cake board on cake stand.

Do hope some of that made sense.... icon_redface.gif

Bluehue

CakesByBeth Posted 16 Sep 2012 , 1:08pm
post #3 of

I've never tired to cover the sides of my boards with fondant, seems too risky! Have you considered using using ribbon on the edge, like this one?

http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2348815/hats-off-to-you

Keeps the clean finished look and once it's glued on, it's not coming off!

Beth.

bbsmom Posted 16 Sep 2012 , 3:51pm
post #4 of

Never would have thought of the "feet"-great idea! I've done a couple with ribbon on the edges and agree but sometimes ribbon doesn't seem to complete the look as continuing the fondant. Thanks for the ideas!

mskessa Posted 16 Sep 2012 , 4:43pm
post #5 of

bbsmom.......for a more finished look without the hassle, try using solid color ribbon the same color as the fondant board

BlakesCakes Posted 16 Sep 2012 , 6:55pm
post #6 of

I was taught to never cover the edge of the board with fondant--for the reason that you mention.

I roll out a piece of fondant larger than the board TOP. I wipe the board with some crisco, lift up the fondant and apply. I rub over it with my fondant smoother. I cut away most of the excess with my pizza cutter and then use the edge of a small offset spatula to carefully remove the rest.

Most of my boards are half inch. Most of my ribbon is 5/8 inch, so it covers the edge of the board and the edge of the cut fondant perfectly. I use decorative pins to adhere the ribbon.

HTH
Rae

Heather_bakes Posted 16 Sep 2012 , 9:56pm
post #7 of

as others have said, I would not cover the edges unless it is a small (light) cake but I am intrigued by the idea of the 'feet'. I like the look of textured fondant wrapped around the board.

Also, I have been using a glue gun to hold the ribbon but I like the idea of a pin icon_smile.gif

bbsmom Posted 16 Sep 2012 , 10:53pm
post #8 of

Really appreciate all the input! I can see where having the sides covered with fondant would be a continual issue, perhaps using the pins my ribbons will look straighter!

Chellescakes Posted 17 Sep 2012 , 4:45am
post #9 of

I use ribbon attached with double sided tape to cover the edges of all my boards. I smooth the fondant to the edges and lift the board up and trim it neatly with a small sharp knife so it is flush with the edge and neat. Then double sided tape around the board and then the ribbon. Gives a nice neat finish every time.
I also always put cleats under my board, I use balsa wood blocks, you can get a huge pack at the craft store or hardware very cheaply , I have had the same bag for about three years now and I am still not even halfway through.

I attach them with a hot glue gun. You can even use a board that is slightly smaller than your presentation board. You just need to be able to get your fingers under the board , it makes it easier for customers to get their cake out the the box too.

Bluehue Posted 17 Sep 2012 , 6:06am
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chellescakes

I use ribbon attached with double sided tape to cover the edges of all my boards. I smooth the fondant to the edges and lift the board up and trim it neatly with a small sharp knife so it is flush with the edge and neat. Then double sided tape around the board and then the ribbon. Gives a nice neat finish every time.
I also always put cleats under my board, I use balsa wood blocks, you can get a huge pack at the craft store or hardware very cheaply , I have had the same bag for about three years now and I am still not even halfway through.

I attach them with a hot glue gun. You can even use a board that is slightly smaller than your presentation board. You just need to be able to get your fingers under the board , it makes it easier for customers to get their cake out the the box too.
Yes, this is why i use the little clear service protectors... - they have little peel off tabs which makes them self sticking... Had a few customers over the years comment how they are glad i took the time to use them. Makes it so much easier for lifting... and placing down again.
Re covering the edge of my boards in fondant and then attatching ribbon - don't think i mentioned it in my above post but i always use ribbon of the same colour as my fondant..

Bluehue.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%