Flowers Not Shiney Anymore....ugh

Decorating By justpracticecakes Updated 17 Sep 2012 , 12:53pm by Spooky_789

justpracticecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
justpracticecakes Posted 16 Sep 2012 , 11:31am
post #1 of 12

Last night i finished my red and pink and white ruffle flower cake. I always brush my flowers with left over gum paste water to make them shiney and stand out.it looked perfect last night. I got up this morning to prepare it for delerivery and they are dry. What happened? This has always worked in the past. The cake is due by ten oclock. Should i brush them again? I dont want it to be sticky and im worried the red will run onto the white cake. How to i keep them shiney? What do you use to brush them with to keep the shiney look??????

11 replies
Diana81 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Diana81 Posted 16 Sep 2012 , 4:52pm
post #2 of 12

What about pearl dust?

justpracticecakes Posted 16 Sep 2012 , 5:14pm
post #3 of 12

I have some but i have never used it. I came in a kit .thank you ill try that next time

Diana81 Posted 16 Sep 2012 , 5:30pm
post #4 of 12

I use it w clear vanilla extract and mix it w the dust. Another thing you can try is using a paint brush and applying vodka on your gumpaste piece. I used the vodka on fondant and it stayed shiny for a long time. Plus the alcohol evaporates.

debidehm Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
debidehm Posted 16 Sep 2012 , 5:58pm
post #5 of 12

This is a good question and one I've had myself. I've done the vodka over the flowers, cake etc, and it is shiny...until the alcohol evaporates, then it goes back to a "matted" finish. It never holds it's shine. Also have done the alcohol mixed with luster dusts, but once again once the alcohol dries it's back to the "matte" finish...but because of the luster dust, it does have a bit of a "sparkle".

I have heard of people steaming their decorations to give them a shine, but that's nothing I have any experience with. icon_sad.gif

Diana81 Posted 16 Sep 2012 , 6:06pm
post #6 of 12

Wow! Really? The vodka hasn t failed me yet! Yes I heard about the steaming but I can t afford a steamer right now.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 16 Sep 2012 , 6:13pm
post #7 of 12

I mix vodka with corn syrup - it dries shiny and not sticky.

Diana81 Posted 16 Sep 2012 , 6:19pm
post #8 of 12

I m curious to try that! Vodka and corn syrup. I ll try it!

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 16 Sep 2012 , 6:30pm
post #9 of 12

For flowers to stay shiny, you must use edible glaze diluted with alcohol to the right shininess. It dries shiny.

You could also mix piping gel with alcohol for a homemade version.

justpracticecakes Posted 16 Sep 2012 , 7:16pm
post #10 of 12

thank you for the advice.im gonna try some of these ideas on a practice cake. i ended up just leaving them matte finish.i guess it didnt look to bad the ladies seem to like it anyways.

Diana81 Posted 16 Sep 2012 , 8:06pm
post #11 of 12

Cool! I m glad they liked it. icon_smile.gif

Spooky_789 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Spooky_789 Posted 17 Sep 2012 , 12:53pm
post #12 of 12

You can steam your flowers, prior to putting them on the cake, just by having a pan of simmering water on your stovetop. Hold the flowers in the steam, swirling back and forth, until you get the shine you desire. Don't hold too close to the water, as you don't want droplets forming on the sugarpaste.

This will help set any dusts you've used and give them a bit of shine. And no special equipment required.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%