How Do I Attach These?

Decorating By scarletspy Updated 16 Sep 2012 , 12:46pm by scarletspy

scarletspy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scarletspy Posted 16 Sep 2012 , 1:00am
post #1 of 4

I'm making a cake for my cousin for his birthday next week. I was wondering how to make and attach the tubes to the top of the cake like this:

http://imageshack.us/a/img266/9129/56425840809192924063842.jpg

They're sitting at an angle so I'm not sure how to attach them so that they don't fall over. Any ideas?

Also, I was thinking of using chocolate mousse as the cake filling and then crumb coating with chocolate buttercream. Do you think this would work with the fondant or would the mousse collapse with the weight?

Thanks

3 replies
jenscreativity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenscreativity Posted 16 Sep 2012 , 1:41am
post #2 of 4

make the tubes out of fondant to set up (ahead of time) and dry then put toothpicks in and stick in cake. you can also place toothpicks in the side of cake on border where they don't show,then toothpick the tubes behind those to hold them up..(hard to explain, but hope you understand). Also you can melt some white chocolate to stick in somehow..

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 16 Sep 2012 , 2:11am
post #3 of 4

Depending on how big those tubes are I don't think toothpicks would be enough. Maybe use kabob sticks. Even though sucker sticks would be better for holding they will soften from the moisture in the cake allowing the tubes to fall over if they are in the cake more than an hour or soicon_sad.gif
The white choco suggestion is good. Make lines/sticks of melted choco, allow to harden then stick into fondant tubes which go into the cake......sounds good here icon_smile.gif

scarletspy Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scarletspy Posted 16 Sep 2012 , 12:46pm
post #4 of 4

Thank for the advice. I've got some cake pop sticks that I could use. I guess it's a case of trial and error. icon_biggrin.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%