Roller Skates Cake

Decorating By gingderp Updated 15 Sep 2012 , 11:12pm by msthang1224

gingderp Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
gingderp Posted 15 Sep 2012 , 10:08pm
post #1 of 2

I'm relatively new to making cakes, but my friend has requested I make a roller skate cake for her birthday. Is there any way I can make an elevated roller skate cake (with the hole cut out , resting on the wheels as actual skates would) without using wood or other inedible platforms? Like maybe make it out of candy? (i've never worked with or made hard candy before - would a candy plank be able to withstand the pressure of a cake?) I know it's a longshot, but I figured I'd ask just in case anybody has a stroke of genius.

Thanks in advance!

1 reply
msthang1224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msthang1224 Posted 15 Sep 2012 , 11:12pm
post #2 of 2

Hi,

I think that it would be very hard for you to make the plank out of candy, only bc you want to have a standing roller skate cake. I could be wrong BUT, If its made out of hard candy, How will you be able to secure your cake to the base? As well as add structual supports to make it stable enough to stand on your cake base.

For instance, a solid chocolate base: you would be able to secure your chocolate block to your cake drum with chocolate or another medium BUT you wouldn't be able to sharpen a wooden dowel (support) and stick it thru yr cake and the chocolate bc it would crack (solid chocolate).

Maybe you could use RKTs blocks that have been allowed to absord air and becoming rock hard then cover it with a 50/50. You could even cover that with candies, if thats the look you was going for.

But, thats JMHO, maybe some of our fellow cakers will chime in on this to help.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%