Dark Brown Fondant. Urgent!

Decorating By rosech Updated 16 Sep 2012 , 1:58pm by rosech

rosech Posted 15 Sep 2012 , 5:13pm
post #1 of 6

I want to make a luggage cake like the one in my gallery:
I used a mixture of modelling chocolate and fondant to come up with that color. It was not as dark as the original cake requested. Could have bn darker if I used more modelling chocolate but I was out of glucose. Now someone has requested same cake and specified they want original version. I only have cocoa powder and black + other primary colors in the house. No glucose. Any ideas what to do? Shops closed already and wont open tomoro. I want to start decorating tomoro and finish monday evening after work. Cake to be delivered Tuesday. TIA!

5 replies
BlakesCakes Posted 15 Sep 2012 , 6:34pm
post #2 of 6

If you mix all primaries together, you get dark brown. You can darken it more by adding in a bit of black.

kakeladi Posted 15 Sep 2012 , 6:39pm
post #3 of 6

As I remember red and green together make brown. You could try adding those colors with maybe just a tiny hint of black. Since you are mixing fondant w/mc have you tried adding some cocoa to the fondant - maybe make the cocoa into a thick paste by adding hot water.

Just did a google search and it said to mix orange and blue.

letsgetcaking Posted 15 Sep 2012 , 7:42pm
post #4 of 6

Yep, the primary colors (red, yellow, and blue) mixed together will make brown. Which is why:

red + green (yellow mixed with blue) = brown
blue + orange (yellow mixed with red) = brown
yellow + purple (red mixed with blue) = brown

rosech Posted 15 Sep 2012 , 11:40pm
post #5 of 6

Thanx everyone. You are lifesavers.

rosech Posted 16 Sep 2012 , 1:58pm
post #6 of 6

I have come out with the dark brown color. Mixture of primary colors and black. I have liquid colors and they take so much time! I will have to buy gel colors. So charging PITA fee next time. Will upload cake Tuesday. Thank u guys.

Quote by @%username% on %date%