Flavoring Without Any Form Of Nuts?

Decorating By majormichel Updated 21 Sep 2012 , 5:34pm by majormichel

majormichel Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
majormichel Posted 15 Sep 2012 , 2:49am
post #1 of 9

I am looking for flavorings and emulsions that does not contain any form or nuts.
I understand creme bouquet has almonds. Can you suggest other flavouring that does not have nuts due to nut allegry.

8 replies
shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 15 Sep 2012 , 3:29am
post #2 of 9

My niece is deathly allergic to all nuts and legumes. I often use artificial almond flavoring for her cakes. Also vanilla, orange, cherry, cinnamon. I should think there are more flavors that aren't "nutty" than are. Reading labels is essential.

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 15 Sep 2012 , 4:45am
post #3 of 9

Vanilla (the only foodstuff that comes from an orchid)
Strawberry
Maple
Cinnamon
Clove
Ginger

scp1127 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
scp1127 Posted 15 Sep 2012 , 6:52am
post #4 of 9

I use Olive Nation extracts exclusively. They are pure. The staff is also very helpful.

I have hundreds of items on my menu and can think of very few dependent on nuts or nut extracts for flavor.

Another great "extract" type product is liqueur. You can research online for ingredients to play it safe.

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 15 Sep 2012 , 12:32pm
post #5 of 9

Club House pure extracts are exactly what they say.

Boyajian pure citrus oils and natural extracts are also pure and true flavours that can be trusted and taste GREAT.

majormichel Posted 15 Sep 2012 , 1:54pm
post #6 of 9

Thanks you all for responding.

Shantar, artifical almond is not really almond, what are the ingredients on the bottle label?

hbquikcomjamesl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
hbquikcomjamesl Posted 15 Sep 2012 , 1:56pm
post #7 of 9

Note that when I refer to maple, I do mean real maple syrup, (Vermont Grade B is usually the best choice if it's going to be cooked, or it's going to be diluted, or if it's going to compete with some other flavor)

And by cinnamon, clove, and ginger, I do mean actual ground spices.

While I do use imitation strawberry extract (McCormick), I use it only as a supplement to actual strawberry jam.

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 15 Sep 2012 , 6:38pm
post #8 of 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by majormichel

Thanks you all for responding.

Shantar, artifical almond is not really almond, what are the ingredients on the bottle label?

Water, alcohol (36%), and benzaldehyde. "Benzaldehyde is an organic compound....it is the simplest aromatic aldehyde and one of the most industrially useful. This colorless liquid has a characteristic pleasant almond-like odor. In fact, benzaldehyde is the primary component of bitter almond oil and can be extracted from a number of other natural sources" such as apples and cherries.

Obviously for imitation almond flavoring, they don't get the benzaldehyde from almonds! Otherwise, I would have killed my niece and I really like her. icon_smile.gif

majormichel Posted 21 Sep 2012 , 5:34pm
post #9 of 9

Thanks Shanter.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%