Does Fondant Deepen Or Lighten In Color After Dying It?

Decorating By DaisyCakesbyMaddi Updated 14 Sep 2012 , 4:04pm by heartsnsync

DaisyCakesbyMaddi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DaisyCakesbyMaddi Posted 14 Sep 2012 , 1:33pm
post #1 of 5

I am making a cake with a lot of rich fall colors in it, and I am going to have fondant decor apples, pumpkins, flowers, leaves etc. I am making these decorations in advance using homemade MMF, and I was wondering if like buttercream, when you dye fondant do the colors get deeper or lighter with time? (if stored properly in cool dark place) and the same question if the fondant is being air dried in it's molded form or if it is still in a ball and stored. Ex. should I make my dark red fondant, store it for a couple days to deepen the color, then mold it? Does it make any difference? I realized that I use mostly pastel colors and this has not been an issue for me so far.

4 replies
Kiddiekakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Kiddiekakes Posted 14 Sep 2012 , 1:39pm
post #2 of 5

I have never noticed a difference except with one color...Regal Purple or Violet..It doesn't seem to matter how I store it after time the color fades..I had this happen yesterday..I made lavender a few weeks ago and when I went to unwrap it ..it looked alomst blue until I kneaded it again and then I had to add a touch of pink again...It will also do this with dry fondant if left for a few weeks..Nver had a problem with any other color...

wilgon1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
wilgon1 Posted 14 Sep 2012 , 1:59pm
post #3 of 5

I had.problems with.dark pink I left it out,to dry and it started to change color, it faded a little it

carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 14 Sep 2012 , 2:57pm
post #4 of 5

I've found that colors deepen with time. However everything lightens somewhat after drying. Gum paste lightens a lot. I sometimes have to paint over it with gel color and extract if I'm trying to match the gum paste to a buttercream color.

Keep your dark colors away from fluorescent lighting--that lightens things very quickly sometimes. I've actually got some deep purple gum paste flowers that I did 2 years ago that are still purple. But they are in a covered box in a dark cabinet. And I don't have fluorescent lighting.

heartsnsync Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
heartsnsync Posted 14 Sep 2012 , 4:04pm
post #5 of 5

I keep little bits of leftover fondant to use on small projects so they sometimes end up being around for a month or two. I found that anything with pink or purple in it will fade on the outside or change color a bit on the part exposed to light just like they will when placed on a cake. Other colors like black, red, bright yellow and orange, green, etc. all get darker. Matter of fact, try my best to color my dark fondants ahead of time on purpose so that they have time to deepen and reach the shade I want without having to add too much color to achieve it. That is why my deep red nor black has any color taste to them. HTH

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%