Will A Refrigerator Shelf Hold The Weight Of This Cake?

Decorating By SRumzis Updated 5 Mar 2013 , 10:49am by clairenelson

SRumzis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SRumzis Posted 14 Sep 2012 , 5:36am
post #1 of 5

Hi all, I am a little nervous about putting my cake in the fridge, I'm partly assembling it there, but for many reasons, I need the first 4 tiers assembled and refrigerated BEFORE delivery. That said, here's my question. The pre-assembled part of the cake is a stacked 12" 10" 9" and 8" round. Will a typical glass shelf/metal bracket type refrigerator shelf hold this weight? I've done this with a 12"10"8"6", but with the 9" instead of the 6" I'm worried the weight could be pushing it. What are your experiences/thoughts? Google doesn't want to tell me my refrigerator shelf capacity. Even after waterboarding.

4 replies
KoryAK Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KoryAK Posted 14 Sep 2012 , 6:40am
post #2 of 5

Yes, it should be fine. I put at least that on mine consistently. The only thing that makes me nervous is when they are on a plateau, since the weight is then concentrated on a few points. In that case, I will place the whole thing on a few cardboards.

SRumzis Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
SRumzis Posted 14 Sep 2012 , 4:29pm
post #3 of 5

Thank you!!! I feel so much better now.

clairenelson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clairenelson Posted 5 Mar 2013 , 10:46am
post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRumzis 

Hi all, I am a little nervous about putting my cake in the fridge, I'm partly assembling it there, but for many reasons, I need the first 4 tiers assembled and refrigerated BEFORE delivery. That said, here's my question. The pre-assembled part of the cake is a stacked 12" 10" 9" and 8" round. Will a typical glass shelf/metal bracket type refrigerator shelf hold this weight? I've done this with a 12"10"8"6", but with the 9" instead of the 6" I'm worried the weight could be pushing it. What are your experiences/thoughts? Google doesn't want to tell me my refrigerator shelf capacity. Even after waterboarding.

I think that would be fine. The fridge holder is strong enough to hold your desire size and weight of cake. Just be sure that you out it by single layer.

Good luck! Source: Refrigerator Repair

clairenelson Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
clairenelson Posted 5 Mar 2013 , 10:49am
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by KoryAK 

Yes, it should be fine. I put at least that on mine consistently. The only thing that makes me nervous is when they are on a plateau, since the weight is then concentrated on a few points. In that case, I will place the whole thing on a few cardboards.

I agree with this. Its no problem, just make sure the holder is strong enough to hold the weighted capacity of your cake. Or if your having trouble, do it by single layer.Good luck!

Source: Refrigerator Repair

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%