Questions About This Cake And Fondant...

Decorating By dmfan71 Updated 13 Sep 2012 , 9:59pm by Diana81

dmfan71 Posted 13 Sep 2012 , 6:33pm
post #1 of 2

I am making this cake for my son's 1st birthday this Sunday and have a few questions..

I am planning on making a 10 or 12 inch round cake and 2-4 inch cakes for the ears...

I guess I will just frost the ears to the head part and then cover the whole thing with black fondant?
then do the red striping around just seems like a lot of fondant...or could I just do a black layer of fondant on top and red on the sides?? I dont know how uniform that would look..any suggestions on which way to do it?

also I make my own mmf...but was thinking of trying white chocolate fondant..has anyone ever made it and if so how did it turn out)...or what I have done in the past is flavoured the fondant with Lorann oils...turns out great...but does anyone know of a white chocolate extract or flavoring..and if so who makes it.

has anyone ever tried chocopan? I was thinking it might be easier to just buy fondant but have never tried it.

thanks for all your help!

1 reply
Diana81 Posted 13 Sep 2012 , 9:59pm
post #2 of 2

Wow.. I would try to keep it simple and forget about the red and orange patterns on the side. All black. If you really want it that way then I would cover the whole cake red. Then I would add the black fondant for the face. I would use cutters with round or oval shapes for the orange patterns. I would do it in stages: one day I make black and red fondant, on the next day I make orange fondant and cut the oval patterns, then the following day I bake the cake, frost it and refrigerate it. Finally on the day after I d put everything together.

Quote by @%username% on %date%