Help Smooth My Buttercream!

Decorating By Haven Updated 25 Sep 2012 , 6:32pm by Haven

Haven Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Haven Posted 13 Sep 2012 , 3:31pm
post #1 of 17

Hi everyone,

I am just now getting time to practice my daughter's wedding cake (2 weeks to the wedding!). For some reason I can not get my buttercream smooth. Does anyone have a great recipe that works better then mine? Advice for smoothing? I am trying the paper towel method, but it doesn't get as smooth as I would like. Are there any secrets you could share with me? Also, are there directions anywhere to make corset laces on the back side of 2 tiers of the cake? My daughters dress has a corset, and she would like that incorporated into the cake. Thanks in advance for your help!

16 replies
carmijok Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
carmijok Posted 13 Sep 2012 , 3:48pm
post #2 of 17

Well it's hard to tell if I have a better BC recipe than yours since you didn't post it. Use a bench scraper to smooth and then try a small foam paint roller to go over it after it's crusted. As for the laces buy a clay extruder.

AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 13 Sep 2012 , 3:53pm
post #3 of 17

First, make sure your icing is thin enough. Mine is the consistency of stiff whipped cream. If it's too stiff you will have a hard time smoothing it. I put on twice as much as I need, then starting at the back (with your free hand on the turntable), pull a bench scraper around the sides until you reach your starting point. Your bench scraper hand should stay steady against the cake, with your turntable hand doing all the work. It takes some practice but you can do it. I don't use a roller or paper towel on mine. Sometimes I will run my scraper under hot water but I don't do that very often.

Haven Posted 14 Sep 2012 , 4:34pm
post #4 of 17

Thank you! Carmijok, I am getting a clay extruder tomorrow! I will also try the roller. AnnieCahill, Make sure the icing is THIN enough? I always thought it should be stiffer. Will thin icing hold up gumpaste lace? Can I do brush embroidery on it?
Does anyone happen to live near Rochester, MN? I would so love some help with this cake! I know it will be fine - I'm just getting nervous since it is for my daughter, and I want it perfect! Thanks, again.

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 14 Sep 2012 , 5:05pm
post #5 of 17

HI, maybe this will help you also. I think she a c/cer

http://cupadeecakes.blogspot.com/2010/11/how-do-i-get-my-cakes-smooth.html

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 14 Sep 2012 , 5:06pm
post #6 of 17
AnnieCahill Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
AnnieCahill Posted 14 Sep 2012 , 10:30pm
post #7 of 17

Yes, you don't want it TOO stiff, because otherwise you can pull up crumbs and it can be very difficult to spread. One thing I do is use hot cream to thin. The heat makes it thin enough to work with and then firms back up after the cake sits for a while.

I wish I could help you but I am on the east coast!

DeniseNH Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DeniseNH Posted 14 Sep 2012 , 11:19pm
post #8 of 17

I love the freezer method. Put one coat on then place the cake in the freezer for 15 minutes, remove and heat your offset spatula under hot tap water and smooth. Repeat this procedure as many times as it takes.

KatieKake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
KatieKake Posted 15 Sep 2012 , 12:30am
post #9 of 17

check out Minnesota ICES, I am not sure just who the rep is but she/he could tell you if there was any one near you. I know there used to be several wonderful decorators near Rochester,

kakeladi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kakeladi Posted 15 Sep 2012 , 7:18pm
post #10 of 17

One thing I don't see already mentioned: Are you making a big enough batch of icing that it fills your mixer bowl? Are the beaters covered w/icing? Are you mixing it long enough? Some recipes (and people) say to mix only for a minute or 2 but I have found if you let that mixer run on low speed for up to 10 minutes you will have a much smoother icing w/o bubbles!
Here is a *great!* icing recipe: http://cakecentral.com/recipe/2-icing
Do try it icon_smile.gif

Wildgirl Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Wildgirl Posted 16 Sep 2012 , 12:49am
post #11 of 17

Love all these ideas and reminders! icon_biggrin.gif

laurak08 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
laurak08 Posted 16 Sep 2012 , 1:15am
post #12 of 17

I use my long spatula and dip it in very hot water wipe then smooth, after multiple times it does get perfectly smooth, I do this before it has crusted icon_smile.gif

jenscreativity Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
jenscreativity Posted 16 Sep 2012 , 1:35am
post #13 of 17

high ratio shortening is a plus and helps a tremendous amount!

cupadeecakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
cupadeecakes Posted 17 Sep 2012 , 5:08pm
post #14 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by icer101

HI, maybe this will help you also. I think she a c/cer

http://cupadeecakes.blogspot.com/2010/11/how-do-i-get-my-cakes-smooth.html

Thanks for posting my link, and by all mean, I am definitely a CC'er! icon_smile.gif I will add that my method uses a non-crusting buttercream, which is a little harder to work with, but it tastes amazing and I can get it ice rink smooth!

arlenej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arlenej Posted 19 Sep 2012 , 6:23am
post #15 of 17

I'm a LAZY caker so what I do is spritz my cake with water then smooth with the spatula.

arlenej Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
arlenej Posted 19 Sep 2012 , 6:25am
post #16 of 17

I've also spritzed with vodka ...works just as well.

Haven Posted 25 Sep 2012 , 6:32pm
post #17 of 17

Thank you everyone! Well, I baked all the cakes and put them in the freezer yesterday. My plan is to take them out tomorrow (Wednesday) and start icing them for a Friday afternoon wedding. I am using all of your hints, and appreciate your help so much! Wish me luck!!!!!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%