I Thought Disco Dust Is Not Edible....

Decorating By Charmed Updated 24 Apr 2013 , 12:46am by vgcea

nanefy Posted 18 Sep 2012 , 9:47pm
post #31 of 48

Feel free to keep arguing with yourself - I've said my piece and I'm done!

vgcea Posted 19 Sep 2012 , 1:17am
post #32 of 48

icon_eek.gif *Backs out of thread s-l-o-w-l-y...*

Charmed Posted 19 Sep 2012 , 2:43pm
post #33 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

Quote:
Originally Posted by nanefy

I tell all my customers that the glitter is not edible as such, but is non-toxic and I've never had a single customer say 'oh no, I don't want glitter'. As far as I am concerned if the customer is aware of the fact then let people do what they want. I personally would rather eat a cupcake with glitter on it than a cupcake with frosting made with shortening.



Well, sadly, a lot of people don't know how to distinguish between "not edible" and "non-toxic". I bet if you told them that it was, indeed, fine grain plastic craft glitter--like that used in scrapbooking--they might think twice and decline.

I certainly know that if someone told me that they'd be sprinkling plastic granules on my food that I'd tell them that they'd better not do it........ icon_confused.gif

At least I know that shortening will ...........glide........thru my system. I have no idea where little plastic particles--that can't be digested/broken down EVER-- might collect.........so many nooks and crannies to lurk in (I've seen my DH's colonoscopy photos icon_eek.gif )..........

JMHO
Rae


thumbs_up.gif

missamylynn06 Posted 2 Oct 2012 , 5:45am
post #34 of 48

I love disco dust! It makes my gumpaste brooches pop! and anything i want to sparkle, I never add it to the actual fondant or buttercream though.

Tails Posted 2 Oct 2012 , 11:08am
post #35 of 48

That poor horse is begging for the flogging to stop le sigh.

FromScratchSF Posted 14 Nov 2012 , 4:30am
post #37 of 48

Great article, I've re-posted on my Facebook.  Thanks!

remnant3333 Posted 14 Nov 2012 , 4:43am
post #38 of 48

I read this about one week ago.  Thank goodness, I have never eaten a cake made with any of this glitter stuff!!  I wonder why the FDA does not do its job when they let anything be put out there for human consumption??? Thanks for posting this so everyone can see. I was going to post but somehow I lost where the site was at. Thanks/Mary
 

littlecake Posted 18 Apr 2013 , 8:59am
post #39 of 48

Do some research peeps....it's made from mica, not plastic....non toxic, 

owatto Posted 18 Apr 2013 , 10:39am
post #40 of 48

I don't know about you guys but when it says on the packet the is is not for consumption some alarm bells start ringing!
*

cakefat Posted 18 Apr 2013 , 11:16am
post #41 of 48

People seem to confuse "non toxic" with being 'edible'..two different things.  I do believe that they are some edible glitters out there..made from other materials (starch based food products) but they will say edible on the label. Not "non-toxic". Most glitters are not edible, not meant for human consumption and are non-toxic. 

 

geez..this topic doesn't end, does it?! 

maybenot Posted 19 Apr 2013 , 1:46am
post #42 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by littlecake 

Do some research peeps....it's made from mica, not plastic....non toxic, 

Very little, if any of what is readily available, is made with mica ( or other minerals).  Most of what's out there IS PLASTIC. 

 

Many of the non-toxic luster dusts do contain mica, as do most eyeshadows.

Norasmom Posted 19 Apr 2013 , 2:44am
post #43 of 48

I think disco dust is harmless, but I still won't put it on anything I bake that will be consumed.  I guess I'm sort of a "disco dust hypocrite."icon_biggrin.gif

DebbyJG Posted 19 Apr 2013 , 4:29am
post #44 of 48
Quote:
Originally Posted by SRumzis 

Look at how it's made, then you decide! icon_smile.gif http://www.naturalnews.com/024694_oil_food_oils.html

thumbs_up.gif

AZCouture Posted 19 Apr 2013 , 5:05am
post #45 of 48

Ok, I did this once, and I ain't doing it again. I stuck a finger full in my mouth and chewed it up. Well, I didn't chew it up, cause it couldn't be chewed, cause it was...plastic.

janet singh Posted 19 Apr 2013 , 6:53am
post #46 of 48

BlakesCakes -that was a harsh little posted comment towards Bethel Bakery on their youtube video.  They were featuring a product they were obviously very proud of.  Maybe you should have sent them a private message about the glitter.  This comment made them look foolish and uninformed .  I believe they actually are uninformed about the glitter.  No need to make someone look bad- totally negated the lovely design they were featuring.  Maybe once told they would use the arabic glitter.

AZCouture Posted 19 Apr 2013 , 7:21am
post #47 of 48

AI just watched that video. Wow. "She takes that big makeup brush and douses each cupcake with a good amount of thd disco dust..." Oh my word. I have to say I did that once, before I knew better, but that makes me cringe seeing it now.

vgcea Posted 24 Apr 2013 , 12:46am
post #48 of 48

AI think the companies who market these products as edible are more deserving of harsh comments. The average baker isn't scouring CC or the internet to see if every item in the edibles section of the cake supply store is real food vs plastic.

Original message sent by janet singh

BlakesCakes -that was a harsh little posted comment towards Bethel Bakery on their youtube video.  They were featuring a product they were obviously very proud of.  Maybe you should have sent them a private message about the glitter.  This comment made them look foolish and uninformed .  I believe they [I]actually[/I] are uninformed about the glitter.  No need to make someone look bad- totally negated the lovely design they were featuring.  Maybe once told they would use the arabic glitter.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%