Liability Insurance

Decorating By Lynelle Updated 28 Feb 2005 , 10:22pm by Lynelle

Lynelle Posted 28 Feb 2005 , 2:49pm
post #1 of 10


I recently completed Course I and will be starting II next week. I'm loving all the tips and tricks I've learned, especially from this forum! I've been asked to make six baby shower cakes (half-sheet) at my kids' elementary school, in addition to a couple birthday cakes.

My husband strongly feels that we should have liability insurance in case someone "gets sick" from one of my cakes. I was just planning on selling a cake here and there, not opening a business. . .yet.

Does anyone have any thoughts, ideas, recommendations, etc. for me? I'd appreciate any information that you have. I've been lurking for a while around here and everyone's advice seems to be right on the mark.

Thanks in advance.

9 replies
letseatcake Posted 28 Feb 2005 , 3:06pm
post #2 of 10

Try to find a Food Safety Sanatation course in your area. Call the Health Dept. or maybe a local college. You will recieve a food safety certificiate and this will let pleople know use know how to handle food safety.

SquirrellyCakes Posted 28 Feb 2005 , 3:13pm
post #3 of 10

I agree, I think the food safety course is a good thing to take. Regarding liability insurance, I doubt that without registering and licensing yourself as a legal business, there is such a product available to you. In the meantime, if you question your insurance company about it, you may get yourself into a bit of hot water regarding using your home to produce a product you are selling and this may create issues for you. The whole fire safety and liability issues will come into play and they may even deny your regular coverage as a result. Some insurance companies have this reaction even when you are just questioning them as to what kind of coverage would you need should you decide to make cakes and sell them.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

thecakemaker Posted 28 Feb 2005 , 3:20pm
post #4 of 10

It's amazing how you can be punished just for trying to do the right thing!

I've read where some bakers pay for kitchen use only when they need it. Has anyone here done that? I'm wondering how much a place would charge for the use of their kitchen to bake a cake ~ it doesn't seem like you could get enough for a cake to cover the rental of a kitchen unless you were making a large wedding cake or something like that.


GHOST_USER_NAME Posted 28 Feb 2005 , 3:59pm
post #5 of 10

I've been through it all: insurance, renting kitchen space, forming an LLC, etc. The bottom line here in NJ is that you have to bake from a board of health-inspected kitchen. No ifs, and, or buts about it.
I rented a kitchen for 8 hours a week at $500.00 a month. I just about broke even at the end of every month. Good thing I signed a lease for only 6 months. It was a great experience, but being one person and not being able to afford to hire help, I couldn't produce enough cookies and cakes to exceed the rent. Get it? A typical Catch 22 situation.

In order to get any type of insurance for a food business, I believe you have to have formed a company. I don't think you can get it in your name only. At least that is what I was lead to believe.

I'm currently looking to either A) find a professional kitchen that charges a more reasonable rent, or B) barter my talents for rent. That is, I will bake cookies and cakes for the owner of the kitchen in exchange for kitchen time. By the way, I'm in Hoboken, NJ, if anyone out there can help me! I have no shame when it comes to networking. icon_wink.gif

thecakemaker Posted 28 Feb 2005 , 4:05pm
post #6 of 10

that's what i was afraid of! good luck to you!

maybe some day.....

SquirrellyCakes Posted 28 Feb 2005 , 4:11pm
post #7 of 10

Me again,
I don't know what is available to you where you live, but I have heard of a number of people saying they get good deals on sharing a facility in places like church halls, Legion halls, charity run locations that have commercial type kitchen space that is only used on some weekends or when rented. It might be worthwhile looking into. Also banquet facilities that generally only use their space on weekends.
Yes I think liability insurance is pretty well regulated to registered business and your regular liabilty coverage with your home insurance won't cover such things. Even the slip and fall risk is substantial.
Another suggestion, some condomium buildings and better apartment buildings have a party room with kitchens that meet commercial standards. They might also be a possibility for a few days a week or month.
Hugs Squirrelly Cakes

briansbaker Posted 28 Feb 2005 , 4:13pm
post #8 of 10

Sorry everyone, but I have an off the wall and probably crazy question here. icon_redface.gif Can anyone give me the exact measurments on a half sheet and full sheet cake in inches?

thecakemaker Posted 28 Feb 2005 , 4:15pm
post #9 of 10

thanks for the suggestions SquirrellyCakes


Lynelle Posted 28 Feb 2005 , 10:22pm
post #10 of 10

Thank you all SO much for your input. You certainly have given me a lot to think about, in addition to some wonderful ideas. I will start checking into local kitchens, etc. later this week.
BTW-I'm in Brentwood, CA (not So. Cal. though) if anyone has local suggestions!

Quote by @%username% on %date%