Help!! How Do You Make Edible Studs/spikes??

Decorating By CreativeGoddess Updated 2 Jan 2013 , 7:41pm by Mimi Cakes

CreativeGoddess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CreativeGoddess Posted 12 Sep 2012 , 11:56am
post #1 of 5

Hi guys!!

I want to make a Louboutin Shoe or Trainer Cake but don't know how to make the studs :-/

I'm guessing they are just fondant but just wanted to find out if there was another way... And if not, i quick way to do it?

Divine Delicacies in the US has done them on the cake in the pic, any tips will be grateful. Thank you icon_smile.gif
LL

4 replies
Crazy-Gray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazy-Gray Posted 12 Sep 2012 , 12:30pm
post #2 of 5

Fondant, Gum paste or modelling choc would all work fine, it will take you ages so be prepared to be patient! to get them all the same size roll out an even length and then cut off say 2cm at a time, shape it, set it aside and move on- keep the length covered with cling wrap though or it will start to dry out and be harder to work.

You could also buy a molding compound and make a mold by poking something pointy in lots of times, then pour in melted white choc and let it set.

Either way make them all, buy a can of edible siver spray and colour them all in one go. attach with royal icing, edible glue... although the upside down ones might need a toothpick or something to help them stay on.

HTH icon_smile.gif

Panel7124 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Panel7124 Posted 12 Sep 2012 , 1:59pm
post #3 of 5

Using a piping tip as a mold maybe? (greased inside with shortening or using some PS/cornstarch)

CreativeGoddess Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
CreativeGoddess Posted 26 Sep 2012 , 10:30am
post #4 of 5

Thanks for your help guys!! The mold sounds like the best idea because at least i can do a few at a time! Piping would also help, but then i'd have to make Silver Buttercream and not sure how yet, i've always spray painted mine.

Mimi Cakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Mimi Cakes Posted 2 Jan 2013 , 7:41pm
post #5 of 5

Hi! How did the spikes turn out?

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%