Please Help, Hat Box Lid

Decorating By xoxoxSweetcakesxoxox Updated 12 Sep 2012 , 10:35am by xoxoxSweetcakesxoxox

xoxoxSweetcakesxoxox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xoxoxSweetcakesxoxox Posted 12 Sep 2012 , 2:20am
post #1 of 4

Hi
I am making a hat box cake in a few weeks. All fondant. The lid just rests against the side. I have no idea what I should use to make the lid out of. icon_confused.gif And how would I fix it to the side of the cake. I attached a picture of a similar cake, the only difference is the color, and the one I'm doing is a 10 inch round instead of square. Any help would be greatly appreciated. I have been cake decorating for only 6 months.
Thank you!!!
LL

3 replies
BlakesCakes Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BlakesCakes Posted 12 Sep 2012 , 2:32am
post #2 of 4

You can cut a piece of half inch foamcore and cover it in fondant or you could buy a 1/2 inch round cake drum and cover that in fondant. Just prop it against the cake when it's on display.

HTH
RAE

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 12 Sep 2012 , 2:39am
post #3 of 4

You can also, use g/p and cover a pan the size of the cake, round or square or oblong. Powder sugar the top of the pan, grease the sides of the pan half way down with crisco . Roll out the gumpaste , can be g/p and fondant mixed. Cut enough to cover top and sides(not all the way down. Use a ruler, exacto knife and cut clean edges all the way around . leave to dry on pan. next day take off carefully and leave to dry for couple days. Dust off powder sugar, and wipe clean with a paper towel , with crisco on it. Wipe really clean, the use plain paper towel and go over that. This will make it have a very professional look. hth

xoxoxSweetcakesxoxox Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
xoxoxSweetcakesxoxox Posted 12 Sep 2012 , 10:35am
post #4 of 4

icon_smile.gif Those both sound like good ideas. Feeling a little relieved already. Speaking of gumpaste, up until now, I have been using the store bought pre made gum paste, but I often hear of people making their own. Any direction on this?
Thank you sooo much!!

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%