??? Modeling Chocolate Vs. Fondant ???

Decorating By m_mckinney1 Updated 11 Jul 2013 , 5:27am by WickedGoodies

m_mckinney1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m_mckinney1 Posted 11 Sep 2012 , 1:27pm
post #1 of 5

I am planning one of the ombre cakes with the individual ruffled petals around the side (like this: http://cakecentral.com/gallery/2273174/blue-ombre ). I haven't worked with modeling chocolate before, and was wondering if it could be used for the petals. I didn't know if it would hold it's shape enough to keep the ruffled look. Thanks for your help!

4 replies
msthang1224 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
msthang1224 Posted 12 Sep 2012 , 5:07am
post #2 of 5

Hi,

Yes you can use modeling chocolate to do the petals and it will hold the shape great. If you are unsure, do a test petal. But, modeling chocolate holds shapes very well in my experience of using it.

Crazy-Gray Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
Crazy-Gray Posted 12 Sep 2012 , 8:26am
post #3 of 5

Me too, I made my own and mixed it with some fondant to make it easier to work with and it made the best roses I've ever done, it took a while to firm up thouh compared to GP but keep your petals dry and cold and they'll firm up quicker icon_smile.gif they'll taste waaaaay better than fondant ones too icon_smile.gif

m_mckinney1 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
m_mckinney1 Posted 12 Sep 2012 , 12:55pm
post #4 of 5

Thank you!

WickedGoodies Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
WickedGoodies Posted 13 Sep 2012 , 4:26am
post #5 of 5

I would suggest modeling chocolate. It can be rolled nice and thin so it's not too heavy as a decoration. That's what I used on the fish and for the ruffles on the white wedding cake. It would work great for your intended design.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%