Best Place To Purchase Gumpaste/flower Supplies?

Decorating By DancingCakes2008 Updated 11 Sep 2012 , 2:38pm by BakingIrene

DancingCakes2008 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DancingCakes2008 Posted 10 Sep 2012 , 4:54pm
post #1 of 6

Hello all,

I am hoping you can all give me some ideas. I have a heck of a time finding gumpaste flower supplies. I find a few here and a few there but not all I need at one spot. Also, there are so many different cutters for the same flower how do you know which one is true to form? Plus most don't come with instructions how do you know the correct way/order in which to build a flower?

So many questions so little time, haha, one more if you all don't mind, who do you feel has the most informative book out there with good close up pics and complete instructions?

I really enjoy making the sugar flowers but am not able to go to any of the big fancy classes that are out there. Boy would I love to tho icon_smile.gif. Speaking of classes...who have you had the most fun with and gotten the most instruction out of?

I have a ton more questions, haha, but think I have asked way more than my fair share.

Thank you all,
Angela

5 replies
BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 10 Sep 2012 , 4:59pm
post #2 of 6

Check out the Alan Dunn books (I have them all...)

Your public library might have one or more of them, or buy them used from abebooks.com for a very reasonable price.

Cutters are not so important as many good books have the shapes in the back to use as templates if you don't buy cutters.

DancingCakes2008 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
DancingCakes2008 Posted 10 Sep 2012 , 5:10pm
post #3 of 6

Thank you Irene, I do have a bunch of Alan Dunn books, but read a comment on here NOT to get his books so now I am confused.

Thank you for the idea of the library. It has been so long since I have been there I have forgotten about them.

MacsMom Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
MacsMom Posted 10 Sep 2012 , 5:30pm
post #4 of 6

I like countrykitchensa.com or globalsugarart.com

icer101 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
icer101 Posted 10 Sep 2012 , 5:35pm
post #5 of 6

Global sugar art. is a great supply for everything. Countykitchensa.com is also a great supply place. NicholaLodge.com is great also. hth

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 11 Sep 2012 , 2:38pm
post #6 of 6

Take a look at ebay, there is a vendor bluelakefox who sells cutters made in Argentina and the quality is excellent.

Alan Dunn's flowers are the most true to life show-stoppers. Look at Lesley Herbert's book if you want faster, more do-able.

I have always found that a 2-3 day short course does more than a longer version for specific skills like flowers.

Look up Jacqueline Butler's petalsweet blog online too.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%