Karen's Meringue Buttercream.. Help!

Baking By trishalynn0708 Updated 10 Sep 2012 , 5:19pm by trishalynn0708

trishalynn0708 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
trishalynn0708 Posted 10 Sep 2012 , 4:25pm
post #1 of 5

I've tried using RI but don't like how hard it dries and I don't like the flavor.. This is my 2nd attempt at making Karen's merignue buttercream...

http://www.karenscookies.net/Cookie-Decorating-Recipes_ep_68-1.html#recipe09

I even watched her video she has on how to make it, followed it step by step.. Mixed 1/2 my powdered sugar, my merignue powder and water for 5 minutes on high until it formed stiff peaks... Did the rest of the instructions, and it turned out great!! BUT when I add the water to thin it out to fill in with, it separates REALLY bad.. I know that she said in her one video that you could add a little water, wait for the 6-7 second rule and it's perfect for spreading.. But even after 2, 1/4 tsp fulls of water it separates really bad and get's grainy.... That isn't a lot of water and doesn't even thin the icing enough to flood with...

Can anyone help me out on what i'm doing wrong?? Going to attempt it again tomorrow so I can get these cookies decorated..

Or is this frosting not mean to be thinned that much??? Maybe I should make a totally separate batch of glaze to fill in with? And use the meringue buttercream to outline with???

Thank you!

4 replies
BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 10 Sep 2012 , 4:57pm
post #2 of 5

You can't thin buttercream with water to make it flow. You can try using corn syrup but ther is no guarantee.

Now in that linked page, just underneath that royal icing recipe, there is a recipe for powdered sugar glaze. If you mix that icing a little stiff, and warm it up to lukewarm, it will flow beautifully and set up with a shine but not be rock hard like royal icing. That is the icing of choice for smooth thin layers to cover cookies.

trishalynn0708 Posted 10 Sep 2012 , 5:07pm
post #3 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakingIrene

You can't thin buttercream with water to make it flow. You can try using corn syrup but ther is no guarantee.

Now in that linked page, just underneath that royal icing recipe, there is a recipe for powdered sugar glaze. If you mix that icing a little stiff, and warm it up to lukewarm, it will flow beautifully and set up with a shine but not be rock hard like royal icing. That is the icing of choice for smooth thin layers to cover cookies.

Thank you for getting back to me... I'm wondering if in her one video she was using 2 different kinds of icing's but referred to them both as the buttercream??

Anyways, does the powdered sugar glaze harden like the RI and the meringue buttercream where they can be stacked?

BakingIrene Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
BakingIrene Posted 10 Sep 2012 , 5:16pm
post #4 of 5

When I use the glaze in its warmed up state, it sets with a hard surface but stays soft underneath. You would have to apply a very thin layer to be able to stack cookies.

FYI Crusting meringue buttercream will not completely harden either--the crust covers the surface but stays soft underneath.

trishalynn0708 Posted 10 Sep 2012 , 5:19pm
post #5 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by BakingIrene

When I use the glaze in its warmed up state, it sets with a hard surface but stays soft underneath. You would have to apply a very thin layer to be able to stack cookies.

When you say you warm it do you mix all the ingredients together and warm it on the stove or in the microwave?? Does it even have to be warmed? I am going to attempt to make some now but want to make sure I know what i'm doing first.

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%