What questions do you ask to determine what the bride & groom want to see/experience on their wedding cake? Besides the obvious choc vs van; how to help them find their dream.
1. Ask them if they have any pictures of other cakes that have design elements they like.
2. Color swatches of their wedding colors, pictures of the flowers, her dress, etc.
3. Ask them if they have a theme or an overall feel they are going for.
4. Do they prefer traditional, whimsical, modern, rustic, romantic, minimalist, etc.
5. Do they want buttercream only, or are they open to fondant?
6. Do they want to incorporate their flowers in the cake design?
I ask the bride to bring any elements that may be used for inspiration (cake photos, invitations, dress photos, etc.) I never know what I will end up using. I once was inspired by the ring!
I first ask some "busy" questions: confirm reception site, how many people, etc. I'm really trying to get a feel for them. Sometimes, if I haven't quite gotten he personality yet, I ask how they met.
Then, I ask if they have anything in particular in mind.
If there just doesn't seem to be any specific inspiration, I ask "tell me what you want to see when you walk in the door. what is your vision for the space?"
At first contact, ask the date (to see if you're available) along with their serving goal and budget (to find out if they can afford your cakes).
Everything else should be on your wedding cake order form/contract so you can just go down the list with them as you fill it out.
Do they want the table decorated also? (for an extra fee of course)
Do they plan to keep the cake outdoors for several hours? (you may want to not accept such a contract)
What food allergies do they need to be concerned with?