Dowel Rods ???

Decorating By Arianette Updated 11 Sep 2012 , 2:09am by BlakesCakes

Arianette Posted 9 Sep 2012 , 8:30pm
post #1 of 10

I've decided to make this cake for my daughter first birthday next week-end icon_biggrin.gif
http://www.wilton.com/idea/Big-Decision-Cake

I went to the store this morning to get everything I need for the cake, but they didn't have the hidden pillars. The seller just told me to use a piece of round thin cardboard (like the thin sheet under cakes bought at the bakery) and put two or three dowel rods under it.

I'm a beginner in tiered cake and I don't know if I should trust this trick.
What do you think ?

9 replies
CWR41 Posted 9 Sep 2012 , 9:12pm
post #2 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arianette

I'm a beginner in tiered cake and I don't know if I should trust this trick.
What do you think ?

It's not a trick... dowel rods have been used in cake construction for decades.
http://www.wilton.com/cakes/tiered-cakes/stacked-tiered-cake-construction.cfm

Arianette Posted 9 Sep 2012 , 10:35pm
post #3 of 10

Well I know that dowel rods are usefull in tiered cakes, and this I trust, but why does Wilton suggest hidden pillars for this particular cake ?

My concern is that the bear is ''sitting'' on the corner of three different cakes, so it is weaker. But if you tell me it's OK I'll just go with the rods....

How many should I put ?

CWR41 Posted 9 Sep 2012 , 11:01pm
post #4 of 10
Quote:

Well I know that dowel rods are usefull in tiered cakes, and this I trust, but why does Wilton suggest hidden pillars for this particular cake ?

Because they recommend using a 6" plate and the hidden pillars fit on the four plate nubs.

Quote:

How many should I put ?

I'd trust the advice you received from the seller and use three (but no more than four). Since you're using corrugated cardboard, you'll be able to carve the board into the shape needed for under the bear so that it won't show, so you can get away with fewer dowels in the space that's smaller than a 6" plate with room for four pillars.

BlakesCakes Posted 10 Sep 2012 , 12:57am
post #5 of 10

As a beginner, it might be easier to work with a circular board--a standard cake cardboard will hold the bear.

You could use some good straws (fast food milkshake straws work great or bubble tea straws from Asian markets) in place of the hidden pillars. Cut them level to the top of the decorated cakes. One in each cake, under where the 6" circle will sit, should be fine.

To integrate the board, I suggest covering it on top with fondant in one of the package, dots, or ribbon colors. A little crisco or water on the board will hold the fondant. You can sit it aside & let it dry for day, if you want. It will also make the bear easier to remove when it comes to serving.

Once the naked bear is on it, put pieces of wax paper about his bottom & feet so that your fur color doesn't get on the board as you pipe.

Pipe a little buttercream on top of the placed straws, sit the board & bear on top, and add the ribbons.

HTH
Rae

CWR41 Posted 10 Sep 2012 , 2:01am
post #6 of 10

As a beginner, keep in mind that if all three of your cakes aren't the same height, the bear won't sit level.

BlakesCakes Posted 10 Sep 2012 , 2:34am
post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by CWR41

As a beginner, keep in mind that if all three of your cakes aren't the same height, the bear won't sit level.

True--and if that's the case, cut all of the straws to the same height, basing that height on the tallest of the 3 cakes and using that straw as the example for cutting the other 2.

Hide any difference in the heights with some curlie-Qs or other decos.

Rae

Arianette Posted 10 Sep 2012 , 11:12pm
post #8 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlakesCakes

As a beginner, it might be easier to work with a circular board--a standard cake cardboard will hold the bear.

A board how thick ? I bought the thin thin one but I know boards comes in 1/2, 1/4, 1/8 of inch ....

I'm afraid if I put crisco + fondant on the thin carbpard it will the the humidity...

And thanks for all the comments, it gets clearer and clearer ...

CWR41 Posted 10 Sep 2012 , 11:58pm
post #9 of 10

Corrugated cardboard is 1/16" thick. Anything thicker isn't necessary.

BlakesCakes Posted 11 Sep 2012 , 2:09am
post #10 of 10

Yes, standard cake cardboards are 1/16th. Foamcore boards come in thicknesses similar to what you've mentioned.

I assumed that it would be a waxed board and that's why I suggested the crisco. If using an unwaxed board, no crisco is necessary. The small amount of moisture in the fondant will work to adhere it.

Rae

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%