Meringue Icing

Baking By kyliecake Updated 14 Sep 2012 , 5:19am by kyliecake

kyliecake Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
kyliecake Posted 9 Sep 2012 , 2:42am
post #1 of 8

icon_smile.gif Hi fellow cakers,
I was wondering if anyone has a recipe for a meringue icing that sets hard. I have an order for 120 cupcakes for a wedding and the couple wants to give them out at the end of the night as bonbonaires in noodle boxes- thus they need to hold their shape and not stick to the side of the box. I have tried a few recipes so far and the closest one that I sort of had success with is from The Crabapple Bakery Cupcake Book, but it still didn't crust. It tasted delicious and the couple tried it and liked it too, but I had to put the decorated cupcake in a low oven for 10 minutes to harden. It has egg whites, sugar, light corn syrup, cream of tartar, water and vanilla (I won't give out proportions because it is not my recipe).
Any ideas or help would be appreciated. The wedding isn't until November but I want to practice some more.
Also bare in mind that I am in Australia so sometimes ingredients aren't as readily available as in the US.
Thanks for your help in anticipation,
Kylie

7 replies
matthewkyrankelly Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
matthewkyrankelly Posted 9 Sep 2012 , 3:10am
post #2 of 8

The only dry hard icing I can think of is royal icing. Some of the frostings crust enough that they don't stick to boxes.

A third option would be to do a high hat cupcake where you frost your cupcake as usual, and then dip the whole top into either melted chocolate or candy melts like some soft serve ice cream. That would be neat and solve your problem.

kyliecake Posted 10 Sep 2012 , 7:44am
post #3 of 8

thanks for your suggestion but they want the icing piped on the top like an icecream swirl and they want the cake totally covered and the icing tall. The cake flavours are choc and white mud so they rise quite flat and I can't imagine a big lump of royal on the top! Thankyou any way for taking the time to reply.
Kylie

katharine8283 Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
katharine8283 Posted 10 Sep 2012 , 10:49am
post #4 of 8

I have a wedding this weekend that has cupcakes in indivdual boxes so guests can take them home. As with previous times I will use a crusting buttercream as once crusted they are stable enough to not make a mess. if using noodle boxes i would put a dab of royal icing on the bottom of the cupcake to adhere it to the noodle box to stop it moving around.

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 10 Sep 2012 , 7:21pm
post #5 of 8

You could make meringue, pipe it in tall swirls onto parchment paper, and bake them in a very slow oven until dry (as for making meringue cups that you put fruit or chocolate mousse in). Then put a dab of buttercream or piping gel on the top of the cupcake and set the meringue swirl on that.

auzzi Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
auzzi Posted 10 Sep 2012 , 10:42pm
post #6 of 8

Try the Australian Women's Weekly Fluffy Frosting Recipe ..

shanter Cake Central Cake Decorator Profile
shanter Posted 11 Sep 2012 , 12:12am
post #7 of 8

What I was picturing was making the meringue swirls on parchment paper with a recipe for meringue shells (lots on the web), just a different shape - pointed tops instead of cup-shaped. The sugar isn't boiled.

kyliecake Posted 14 Sep 2012 , 5:19am
post #8 of 8

thanks for your suggestions. I will try the women's weekly version this weekend. icon_smile.gif

Quote by @%username% on %date%

%body%